Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Jenkin Hill, Sheffield:

Jenkin-Road-Sheffield.png
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    BigMat wrote:
    Walked up Hardknott and also Winnats. Hardknott was about 85 miles into the Fred Whitton, was just about keeping going but had to swerve to side of road to avoid a car and just lost momentum. Couldn't get going after that. Winnats was riding into a ridiculous gale, got pretty much blown off the bike then couldn't get going again!

Ahhh, at last someone mentions an actual hill rather than a discontinuity in the flatness coefficient! All these pimples folk keep referring to made me think the forum had come out in a dose of acne!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Don't think I've succumbed to walking yet, but the Bwlch Penbarras (view from the top) has me effectively climbing stairs on a compact on weekend rides. Some say the apex on that hairpin is vertical... :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,045
    Daddy0 wrote:
    I can cope with almost all of the hills around Biggin Hill including this one mentioned above:
    http://app.strava.com/segments/3381057
    It's the last 100m of that one that's tricky - you have to leave a bit in the tank for the end.
    Daddy0 wrote:
    But the last time I was going up here:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=westerham&hl=en&ll=51.286532,0.064483&spn=0.010495,0.038581&sll=51.548684,-3.165264&sspn=0.09255,0.154324&t=p&hnear=Westerham,+Kent,+United+Kingdom&layer=c&cbll=51.286532,0.064483&panoid=wgHZe_I39BYF0ffU-BZCbA&cbp=11,338.72,,0,12.36&z=15
    ...I had to stop. I was wobbling about a bit too much and contending with the cars going round the narrow bend at 60mph was a little scary. I still made it up, but only after I caught my breath and waited for the traffic to ease up. Then I sprinted to the top. Its great going down there though, take that bend just right and you're good for over 50mph.
    The traffic is the worst bit - I found that by keeping nicely close to the keb and not wobbling too much it was OK, just don't look back... Going down is great fun except when someone decides to turn left without indicating onto Pilgrims Lane about 2/3 of the way down - had a minor brown trousers moment due to that a few months ago.

Try Hogtrough Hill which goes up parallel to and a mile or so east of Westerham Hill, that's quite hard work.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Not happened yet but there's plenty of time.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958
    I had to walk part of the Bealach. In fairness, I'd gone up the east side, planning to end the ride in Applecross and be picked up by the other half, but we had an ahem, "miscommunication" and I was supposed to meet at the top. So, waterless and snackless, I had to go back up again and ran out of glycogen at about 500m.
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    I hate Whitedown.

It's a mental thing now, as soon as I turn the last corner and see the "wall" in front of me, strength, power and hope drains from me and a foot goes down. I know it's daft cause 10/15 secs I'm back spinning up to the top.

I can't believe I'm telling everyone this! :oops:
  • KevEss wrote:
    I hate Whitedown.

It's a mental thing now, as soon as I turn the last corner and see the "wall" in front of me, strength, power and hope drains from me and a foot goes down. I know it's daft cause 10/15 secs I'm back spinning up to the top.

I can't believe I'm telling everyone this! :oops:
    Everyone hates Whitedown. Keeping the pedals turning is a thing. My son did it when he was 12 though.

Succombs, well I like the idea of giving it a go but the grief from cars would be too much. Go out on the next exit from the Ann Summers' rbt, then past the girls school and at the end turn left up Gangers. That's a git too.

From this Friday just gone, once you pass the tunnel on the Galibier (from the Lauteret) that gets a bit steep. Nice tarmac though.
  • supersonic
    In Sheffield, you just sort of get used to them! There are so many short and sharp hills (and a quite a few not so so short!) that, unless you get on the TPT where you barely have to draw breath to keep up a 20mph average, you are going to be heaving on the bars,
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    This bugger:

http://app.strava.com/segments/3242343

A slip on a pedal left me with no way to get clipped in and going again. What Strava doesn't show is the initial 1/5 of a mile is deeply rutted concrete, not tarmac.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Ridden that hill a few times but always made it up there. I'm riding the FT Sportive on Sunday which goes down it, thats one scary downhill - someones going to get hurt...

Ah, I'm riding that too! I've not paid much attention to the route. It is a scary downhill, but a fun one when you're feeling brave. If you want to risk your life, and you feel suicidal you can negotiate the loose stones on the bend at the bottom, you can get some serious speed on it. I agree, though, sportive riders who don't know the road riding in a bunch could find themselves broken and dead.

FTFY ;-)
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Try Hogtrough Hill which goes up parallel to and a mile or so east of Westerham Hill, that's quite hard work.

I'm sure I will ride it sooner or later. Got my eye on Starhill Road at the moment - been down it, but not up, yet!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    This is the only one that's had me recently(ish).

I've been back and done it twice since, it's one of those hills that makes your arms hurt as much as your legs by the top.

[url=ttps://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=Marchington+Woodlands,+Staffordshire+ST14,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=52.8576,-1.84051&spn=0.000052,0.038409&sll=51.440825,-2.57251&sspn=0.310301,0.614548&geocode=FY56JgMdeCHk_w&hnear=Marchington+Woodlands,+Staffordshire,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.85343,-1.840527&panoid=_shcnCmKw2BBWhyLhIk57w&cbp=12,135.09,,0,11.36]Marchington Cliff[/url]
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Gallywomack
    Gallywomack Posts: 823
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Ridden that hill a few times but always made it up there. I'm riding the FT Sportive on Sunday which goes down it, thats one scary downhill - someones going to get hurt...

Ah, I'm riding that too! I've not paid much attention to the route. It is a scary downhill, but a fun one when you're feeling brave. If you want to risk your life, and you feel suicidal you can negotiate the loose stones on the bend at the bottom, you can get some serious speed on it. I agree, though, sportive riders who don't know the road riding in a bunch could find themselves broken and dead.

FTFY ;-)

The scariest descent I've found in that general area is going south down Toys Hill, sketchy road surface and off-camber turns aplenty. The last time I went down, a huge party of fecking beardy ramblers started streaming across the road in front of me about a third of the way down. I put the anchors on but truth be told, calipers and 18 stone of rider does not make for much stopping power on steep slopes and I had to go through the middle of them like an NYC courier at a pedestrian crossing. Caught a look of shock off the nearest one to me as I went through - that'll learn ya to look left, right, and left again, you pillock. (No doubt the words 'lycra lout' crossed his mind).
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Last hill to date to make me put a food down was Crocknorth Hill which is a fairly steep darling, and I was being a foolish man stretching my chain on the SS back when I had a geared roadie I never normally had a problem getting up hills even very steep hills (one nr my folks place that's 17% average) though I've never been at all fast up hills!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Daddy0 wrote:

FTFY ;-)

I'm heading that way this afternoon. Might have a go at PBing it. If I've not posted back here by this evening please call an ambulance (either that or come nick a nearly new Scott CR1 that'll be wedged in the hedge).
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    supersonic wrote:
    Jenkin Hill, Sheffield:

That one is on the TdF route for next year isn't it? Could be a good place to go and watch from.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Not for a long time. At least not on tarmac. Got a few nasty b****rs near me in Derbyshire to practice on though and you kind of get used to it (indeed, even to relish the challenge). I'm not fast though, and I do use a triple.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Cudham Lane/Church Hill near Downe, and Hogtrough Hill, which goes up the North Downs escarpment from Pilgrims Way near Brasted, both made me get off and walk a couple of months back. Both inside the M25.

I conquered both the following week, I think it was mainly the shock of running out of gears that made me give up the first time around. I didn't expect to have to grind up anything and panic set in.

+1
  • supersonic
    prawny wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Jenkin Hill, Sheffield:

That one is on the TdF route for next year isn't it? Could be a good place to go and watch from.

Indeed it is, are some nasty little climbs at the end of stage 2. Jenkin is 33% in places, not what you want a couple of mile from the finish line!

I am going to be watching from Jawbone Hill in Sheffiled, another tough ascent, just 3 miles before Jenkin:

It%27s_a_Tree_..._and_a_Lamp_Post%2C_Oughtibridge_Lane%2C_Oughtibridge_-_geograph.org.uk_-_822734.jpg

Climbs 160m in 1.6km, and rises to 25% in places.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Not so far. Quite a lot of short sharp climbs near me.

I am not at all fast up hills however I can grind it out slowly without too much bother.

The other half we had to stick a 12-28 on for her. Couple of them she took them too tight and came to a complete stop couldnt unclip and hit the deck. Not a pleasent experience. She has been ok since though
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,045
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I'm sure I will ride it sooner or later. Got my eye on Starhill Road at the moment - been down it, but not up, yet!
    Starhill Road now on my list for a slightly longer ride, thanks for the tip :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Starhill Road now on my list for a slightly longer ride, thanks for the tip :)

If its the one I think it is, its not that bad - hurts at the end of Hell of the Ashdown though. Yorks Hill and White Lane / Titsey are the nastiest ones round there as far as I can tell. Cudham Lane can catch you by surprise though.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    prawny wrote:

I've been back and done it twice since, it's one of those hills that makes your arms hurt as much as your legs by the top.

[url=ttps://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=Marchington+Woodlands,+Staffordshire+ST14,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=52.8576,-1.84051&spn=0.000052,0.038409&sll=51.440825,-2.57251&sspn=0.310301,0.614548&geocode=FY56JgMdeCHk_w&hnear=Marchington+Woodlands,+Staffordshire,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.85343,-1.840527&panoid=_shcnCmKw2BBWhyLhIk57w&cbp=12,135.09,,0,11.36]Marchington Cliff[/url]

I think you meant this link: http://goo.gl/maps/PN0Nr

Although if you are in the area, there are any number of nasty climbs...

I've always wanted to be able to climb this bugger:Hanbury Hill It doesn't stop until you get to the pub.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • supersonic
    Looks good, struggle to the top to get your C0ck Inn.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    supersonic wrote:
    Looks good, struggle to the top to get your C0ck Inn.

yeh these days i cant really be bothered
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    This posted on road beginners today should make you feel better. :o
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Got off on Riber when I first started, some mean fellas thought take the new guy up there, was nearly at the top as well - done it more than a few times now.
    Winnats a few years ago - sorted that out in the traffic on the tour of the peak last month.
    Slack Hill just outside Matlock - now sorted.
    And
    The Timmlesjoch in Austria - got off with about 7km to go but I had climbed 3 mountains already and been riding for 11 hours (Otztal Radmarathon) - to be sorted Sunday 25th August
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    prawny wrote:

I think you meant this link: http://goo.gl/maps/PN0Nr

Although if you are in the area, there are any number of nasty climbs...

I've always wanted to be able to climb this bugger:Hanbury Hill It doesn't stop until you get to the pub.

My mate has entered the Cannock Chase 100 Sportive and Marchington Cliff is on the route (one of 4 similar climbs). He wants to me to go along.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X