£700 budget on a downhill bike

2»

Comments

• scottfitz
    scottfitz Posts: 283
    Northwind wrote:
    On the subject of downhill hardtails, 3 people did the endurance downhill on hardtails this year. Only 2 made the podium though, the 3rd place man was celebrating in hospital :lol:
    Sounds epic might give it a go next year, Practice for the mega on the HT :D
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    rode an Alpine DH Enduro race on my Rockhopper last month...came 84 out of 114 :|

Doing the Mega in a couple of weeks on my....

...Trek Session :D
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    rode an Alpine DH Enduro race on my Rockhopper last month...came 84 out of 114 :|

What's that thing they say about a good workman? :D
  • felix.london

What's that thing they say about a good workman? :D

Yeah, I already got all that off some of my mates thanks!

Trek Session 8
  • scottfitz
    scottfitz Posts: 283

...Trek Session
    Good luck
  • felix.london
    scottfitz wrote:

...Trek Session
    Good luck

Cheers. The goal is just to make it to the final race so the plan is just to blast it with the big bike in the qualifier race...we'll see

Trek Session 8
  • Munch101
    Munch101 Posts: 32
    I enjoy that you're all making this thread popular, but this isn't a debate of hardtail vs fs! I want you to just recommend me some bike makes and models to suit my needs!
  • felix.london
    Munch101 wrote:
    I enjoy that you're all making this thread popular, but this isn't a debate of hardtail vs fs! I want you to just recommend me some bike makes and models to suit my needs!

haha! fair enough but the best thing to do is just see what you can find in your area and take it from there. Buying a used bike (especially a full suss) is all about getting something that's in good condition not certain makes or models. over others

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You wont do better than a Giant Glory on a tight budget.
    224's pedal like crap. SX trails are ok but they are freeride bikes and struggle at speed. Commencals are fragile. Older exotic stuff tends to be a bit rubbish. Kona Stinky's and Coilers are freeride bikes, and not very good ones.
    Glorys are a bit heavy but solid and ride pretty good.
  • felix.london
    You wont do better than a Giant Glory on a tight budget.
    224's pedal like crap. SX trails are ok but they are freeride bikes and struggle at speed. Commencals are fragile. Older exotic stuff tends to be a bit rubbish. Kona Stinky's and Coilers are freeride bikes, and not very good ones.
    Glorys are a bit heavy but solid and ride pretty good.

A mate's just bought a 2008 Glory 1 and haven't tried it yet or looked into the geo but it's def a freeride spec i.e 1x9 but with a wide ratio cassette, single crown fork etc. Seems to handle the Dh trails pretty well though. Weighs a ton!

think he paid €650 (about £560) - does have a ding in the top tube though

Trek Session 8
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Got to be a wee bit careful with Glorys, there's loads of Glory 8s out there which are kind of steep and tall. Older Glories (07-ish) also feel a bit dated in that way and are heavy, but are still a good buy, excellent build and suspension. Also, they look ace :)

224s pedal OK at best, but the suspension's a bit wonky, falling rate at the end of the stroke makes no sense (just when you want the suspension to be hardest, it gets softer) Also check carefully for cracks and repair welds, the reputation they have for toughness is... what's the expression I'm looking for here... ah yeah. Total deluded pish. But, all in all they've aged better than a lot of the other competition at this price, and still great fun to ride.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rockmonkeysc
    The old Glory geometry was a bit steep but they ride ok. An offset bush helps a lot.
  • felix.london
    Northwind wrote:
    Got to be a wee bit careful with Glorys, there's loads of Glory 8s out there which are kind of steep and tall

That's what he has, the raw finish with a big blue "8" on it

Trek Session 8
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Still a good bike to be fair... But at this price I reckon you can do better.

Just had a wee browse of pinkbike and tbh there's not a lot that caught my eye just now, I would wait and keep an eye on the classifieds.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rockmonkeysc
    Im not sure there is anything better. Glory's last forever, a lot of other old DH bikes dont.