What do you guys think of wild camping?

spitfire355
spitfire355 Posts: 16
edited July 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi guys, I'm planning on doing a tour of Europe next summer, and in order to save as much money as possible, and therefore stay out on the road for longer, I'd like to do as much wild camping as possible. I'm going to be going through France, Italy, Czech, Slovakia, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium and the Netherlands over the course of around 6 months.

Have any of you guys ever done a tour on this scale? Any one have any experience of wild camping, or just general advice?

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    in a tent or campervan? Ive done a fair bit in a campervan, and used aires and stellplatz (free/nominal amount carparks for motorhomes).

Not done anything in tents, and cant remember seeing anyone doing it. Campsites are pretty cheap for tents in most of Europe.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • I'm going to be using a tent for the majority of the time, there is a fair bit of info on it I've found but I'm concerned with a lack of facilities for cleaning etc, and obviously getting caught
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    At the end of a hard days cycling, personally I'd want a good shower, a nice meal and a comfortable bed.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I've done an awful lot of it - mostly in the Australia outback where there is no real choice, but I've done some in Britai, Europe and the US as well. I quite like it, although you need to take a few elementary precautions to make sure you're not sprung.
  • Wild camping is the way to go my friend. I did it going through Spain and France. I don't forsee any problems really, unless you were to camp in somebody's back yard, or if there are places which specifically say "no camping". I even camped in a couple of farmer's fields in France without hassle.

You get used to roughing it fairly quickly. I made myself a wee treat every 5 days or so by staying at a hostel or pension. Your definition of the term "luxury" may change forever.

Have a great time amigo.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Done it a fair few times, get a small green tent that is fairly low to the ground so its not obtrusive or even a bivvi bag. Dont light any fires but make sure you have someway of being able to make a cuppa fairly easily. If you are really out in the wilds you need to be able to get clean water so a purifier is by far the best and take nappy bags with you for doing your business.Wild camping is really about common sense and not being obtrusive, others shouldnt know you have been there except maybe the flattened grass.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    edited July 2013
    You get used to roughing it fairly quickly. I made myself a wee treat every 5 days or so by staying at a hostel or pension. Your definition of the term "luxury" may change forever.

A shower every five days. Sounds like my definition of 'grim'.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    andymiller wrote:

A shower every five days. Sounds like me definition of 'grim'.
    If you are cycling through some of the lonelier parts of Australia - the Kimberley or the Gulf Country - that is just par for the course. The trade offs in solitude, wild beauty, and the blaze of stars at night are totally worth it.
  • Haha, I never said I didn't wash.

I'm a large framed 5'11'' and I only needed a pint and a half of water to wash myself thoroughly. A tea towel is all you need to dry yourself (it'll dry out the following day atop your panniers). Rivers are good for washing also.

Best of luck amigo.