Sram Red issues

Hasselblad
Hasselblad Posts: 20
edited June 2013 in Workshop
I have Sram Red 2011. Rear shifting on all cogs is smooth and quiet when on small chainring. When shifting to large chainring, the chain/cassette is noisy in the lowest 4 gears at rear. There is no front mech chain rub.

What would cause this. I have tried fiddling with cable tension but it doesn't help?

Thanks
Paul

Comments

• TOM14S
    TOM14S Posts: 100
    Distance between cassette and top jockey wheel??
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    As tom said it is probably that the rear mech is is in contact with the largest cassette cogs as otherwise it would make very little noise.
    That said you can expect more noise in the upper regions of the cassette just because of a more angled chain but it is hardly noticeable.
    I would also double check that no chain rub occurs between the front mech and chain by sticking a fresh piece of white masking tape on the inside plate of the front mech and the tape should stay white as you cycle through the rear mech but remember not to touch the front mech once it is on. If there is more than a tiny bit of crud on it then it is probably chainrub there so adjust limit screws and tension to compensate.
  • Hasselblad
    Thanks...so that's a fiddle with B-Tension screw...I'll look at that.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,559
    adjust the gap, it makes a big difference to noise level

don't just do it at random, look at sram's instructions and follow them, there's a narrow adjustment window for best results
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Hasselblad
    Adjusted gap....didn't really make any difference to large chainring noise but made the small chainring, which was good, a lot worse :-(

These gears are a crock of sh!t....I have a Roubaix with Ultegra and it hasn't been adjusted for a year and it is as smooth as silk...the SRAM need constant adjustment.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,559
    whereas mine don't need constand adjustment and work fine

you need to lool elsewhere for the cause
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    sungod wrote:
    whereas mine don't need constand adjustment and work fine

Ditto. I've got SRAM Red/Force on both road bikes and haven't had a problem. Yes the FD can be a bit difficult to get set up in my experience, but perseverance soon finds the right setting and I have only ever adjusted it following cable stretch. If you're getting noise from the RD then it can't be set perfectly. I'd go back to square one re-setting the H and L limits, set the B screw, refit the cable and use the barrel adjuster to fine tune.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.