My Trek Cobia 29er

philuk56
philuk56 Posts: 9
edited June 2013 in Your mountain bikes
My first post! my name is Phil and im quite the novice! i havent properly ridden for about 2 years and since then ive bought this bike and just started riding t properly. im 27 and ive got quite a few hobbies aswell as my bike! marine fishkeeping, modifying cars and photography! all expensive!

Dunno how many 29er lovers there are here but im really enjoying this bike, got it last year but never really started riding it until the past few weeks properly. It's completely stock apart from some small lights, an endura chainstay protector and changed the factory plastic pedals for some metal diamondback pedals I had from an old box I used to ride! I'm looking at getting some better brakes for it as the avid elixer 1's aren't upto much! Giving it a hard ride in dalby I started loosing brake response which I can only put down to fade. Would making the rotors bigger help me or are the brakes just not worth messing with?

This is the day I brought it home

9120838656_f277eb5159_b.jpg

Here are a couple of dirty pics after dalby

9118508499_b8bb78417d_b.jpg
9118508349_0258cc7ece_b.jpg

And after a clean

9118508279_aa92cd2bc4_b.jpg

Not got any more pics of it, thanks for looking!

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    If the brakes bother you that much, you could swap them out with some shimano deore m596 brakes.
  • philuk56
    Are these about the best for the money? Is there anything that's secondhand which would be worth looking out for?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd probably leave them for a bit. Perhaps uprate the front disc to 180 first.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I'd probably leave them for a bit. Perhaps uprate the front disc to 180 first.

yeah try a larger disc up front but also with the bike being new the pads will need bedding in for a while.
    philuk56 wrote:
    Are these about the best for the money? Is there anything that's secondhand which would be worth looking out for?

yeah these are good value at around 80 for the set, you could keep an eye out on the forum for some used ones in deore, xt or slx.

how are the bontrager xr3 tyres ? I was looking at trying one on the rear of my bike.
  • philuk56
    These came factory on th bike and I'm fairly impressed with them, excellent grip in the dry and uphills, bit sketchy on wet rocks & trees etc but what isn't?! And also very little rolling resistance,

Here is a pic of it whilst I was waiting for my gf to finish work!