First Bike Question - Which is best?

2003bluecat
2003bluecat Posts: 4
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone. Another noob question I'm afraid.

Basically, I'm torn between a few bikes and would like you're opinions and advice as to which is the better one, or just which one you would chose in my position. Details will follow, but here are the bikes I'm considering:

Genesis Mantle 20: http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/products.php?show=8065
Genesis Mantle 10: http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m15b0s776p8112/GENESIS_Mantle_10_29_Inch_Front_Suspension_29Er_Bike
KTM Ultra Fire: http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m15b0s776p10205/KTM_Ultra_Fire_29_29Er_Mountain_Bike
Cannondale Trail SL 2 (2012): http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s155p4273/CANNONDALE-TRAIL-SL-29%5CER-2-2012

The front runners are the Mantle [*]30[*] 20 and the KTM (purely for the looks of the grey version :roll:). But would I notice [*]£280[*] £180 worth of difference to the Mantle 10 being a beginner? Or am I best getting the best bike I can afford to save on upgrades later?

Now, the first 3 are from the website ukbikesdepot and are considerably cheaper than elsewhere, almost to the point where I think it may be too good to be true. Does anyone have any experience with them? They seem legit to me but I can't believe their prices.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, for completeness I'll include a little more about my self below so you get an idea of what I'm looking for.

- this will be my first proper mountain bike having not ridden since I was at school (now 28)
- I'll be getting it as a cycle to work bike, self administered by my employer, so have a total budget of around £1000 and a budget for a bike of £750-800. Obviously the lower the bike cost the more I can spend on accessories :D
- I will be using it to occasionally commute via towpaths and road, and recreationally adding in some trails.
- based on my use I have concluded after much research that a 29er will suit my needs well. I am 6' and around 90kg so I don't think it's needed because I'm not that tall but based on all round performance a 29er is what I'm after; I understand spec and weight at a similar price point may will be sacrificed compared to a similar 26er

Cheers all :?:

EDIT: Changed errors in post to avoid further confusion :oops:

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Its close between the 10 and 20. The main difference is really in the fork, and of course its only 180 not 280 different. But then you mention the mantle 30 which is a different bike again? Anyway, personally of the two Genesises, I would pick the one I like the most to look at, seriously. The equip upgrade is about on the money for 180, so you're not gaining value. The better bike is clearly the 20, but then it costs more. Both are good.

UKBD are legit, although their stock control is crap. Dont be surprised if the one you want doesn't exist anymore as they sold it. Not saying its a scam like that, they genuinely seem poor at stock control! I bought a kili flyer X off them earlier this year no probs, but I nearly bought a bargain Ariel at the same time, which after I had 'bought' it they found they'd sold it - they gave me a fair whack off the Kili to say sorry though, so not exactly anything to really grumble about!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Hi

I can't answer all your questions as I am a relative noob myself!
    I have just moved up to a Genesis Mantle 20 form a GT aggressor 3 and its a great bike. If you can run to the Mantle 20 over the 10 the spec is just that bit better esp the fork. I ride it to work and find the X-king tyres roll fairly well on the black stuff.
    The bike handles well for most of the trails I ride and it only becomes a bit of a handful on loose gravel corners and wet rocky/rooty sections so I am currently looking to replace the front tyre with something with a little more grip, but for what you are looking to ride the standard bike is fantastic. Genesis build some really nice bikes.
    Going 29er was the best move as far as I'm concerned, for the style of riding and the routes I ride the improvements in grip, speed and momentum definitely work better for me than a 26er.
    I can't comment on the other bikes but I would recommend trying out a few bikes, even ones you are not necessarily looking at just to get a feel for what suits you best. The Scott Scale 960 is a good bike to look at.

Hope that helps but I'm sure someone more experienced will be along to help ya soon!

Cheers
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Its close between the 10 and 20. The main difference is really in the fork, and of course its only 180 not 280 different. But then you mention the mantle 30 which is a different bike again? Anyway, personally of the two Genesises, I would pick the one I like the most to look at, seriously. The equip upgrade is about on the money for 180, so you're not gaining value. The better bike is clearly the 20, but then it costs more. Both are good.

UKBD are legit, although their stock control is crap. Dont be surprised if the one you want doesn't exist anymore as they sold it. Not saying its a scam like that, they genuinely seem poor at stock control! I bought a kili flyer X off them earlier this year no probs, but I nearly bought a bargain Ariel at the same time, which after I had 'bought' it they found they'd sold it - they gave me a fair whack off the Kili to say sorry though, so not exactly anything to really grumble about!

As as accountant I really should have spotted that of course it is £180 difference, I'll put it down to the hangover :oops: :roll:

You make a good point about going for the one I like the look of most. That would be the KTM in grey, but I've read really good things about Genesis bikes, and it's not all about the specs.
    Neutrality wrote:
    Hi

I can't answer all your questions as I am a relative noob myself!
    I have just moved up to a Genesis Mantle 20 form a GT aggressor 3 and its a great bike. If you can run to the Mantle 20 over the 10 the spec is just that bit better esp the fork. I ride it to work and find the X-king tyres roll fairly well on the black stuff.
    The bike handles well for most of the trails I ride and it only becomes a bit of a handful on loose gravel corners and wet rocky/rooty sections so I am currently looking to replace the front tyre with something with a little more grip, but for what you are looking to ride the standard bike is fantastic. Genesis build some really nice bikes.
    Going 29er was the best move as far as I'm concerned, for the style of riding and the routes I ride the improvements in grip, speed and momentum definitely work better for me than a 26er.
    I can't comment on the other bikes but I would recommend trying out a few bikes, even ones you are not necessarily looking at just to get a feel for what suits you best. The Scott Scale 960 is a good bike to look at.

Hope that helps but I'm sure someone more experienced will be along to help ya soon!

Cheers

Good to hear some first hand experience of the Mantle 20, sounds perfect for my use so thanks for your reply :)

I really do like the idea of a Genesis bike, they seem well regarded everywhere I have looked and are well specced within my price range.

Just to throw another spanner in the works, the Voodoo Bizango had been getting great reviews all over the place, and at £600 looks like a steal. However, stock has mysteriously disappeared lately, so that may have to be one to watch out for.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sorry when I said get the one you like the most, I meant from the genesis ones. Both the others are as good IMHO...
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.