Replacement forks for Trance X3 2011

guandax
guandax Posts: 44
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

In the coming months I think it's going to be time to change my forks. Anybody know what would be my best option to replace the existing Fox Float RL 32 125mm QR15 forks it has at the moment? I want something of a similar grade, but spending the least amount of cash possible! Is any tapered 120mm fork going to work out Ok? Could I move up to 140mm without issue?

Many Thanks
Canyon Spectral 7.0ex 2015
Giant Trance X3 2011 (retired but not sold!)

Comments

• I'd get another set of Fox 120s if you can possibly afford to. Is there a reason why you wouldn't spend on repairs to the existing forks as most bits can be replaced?

In terms of replacement the key measurement is the distance from the bottom of your headset to the axle centreline. (axle to crown). If it matches the current fork then it'll be fine and dandy regardless of brand.

Re moving up to 140mm. You've two things to consider, 1. The change to geometry. 2. The warranty.

Taking each in turn:

1. You'll be increasing the axle to crown measurement, which will make the head angle slacker, the seat tube angle slacker and increase the bb height. Whilst it's not a major increase in length (to be honest if you don't set it up right it'd make this much difference), I personally question the merit of doing it on the basis that the frame will be designed to run a certain length of fork, if you catch my drift?

2. Talk to Giant first, they will tell if it invalidates their frame warranty. The reason it may is because the extra length cited above will exert a greater moment arm on the frame around the headtube. If it does invalidate the warranty then I'd stick to a 120mm, as whenever I've snapped frames I've had to prove the set up I was running when it failed.

Hope it helps

Andrew
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Trances work really well on 140mm forks, according to numerous sources. As far as the warranty issue goes, if t does invalidate the warranty, but you were unfortunate enough to have to make a claim then just put your 125mm forks back in first - who's to know?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Why are you replacing with new forks of a similar grade, why not just service them?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • guandax
    guandax Posts: 44
    Thanks for your replies. The stansions are scratched down inside. Working fine now (just been serviced) but I'm told it may not last :-(
    Canyon Spectral 7.0ex 2015
    Giant Trance X3 2011 (retired but not sold!)
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I'd look for a decent 140mm RS revelation.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500