XT shifter problem, photos added

lochussie
lochussie Posts: 276
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I lent my bike out for five mins and when it came back the front shifter (M780) wasn't working. When you try to shift to a bigger ring, it pulls in the cable but then releases it all when you let go of the paddle. I have taken the cover off the shifter and there is a pawl near where the cable enters that isn't engaging with anything, possibly this should be stopping the cable release but I can't see how. I don't know if anyone can offer advice based on this info, I'll try to get some photos or video up tomorrow. Keen to avoid buying new shifter, especially as you don't seem to be able to get a left alone.

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Photo of the internals would help, the pawl needs to engage on the ratchet to hold each gear in place, usual issue is muck inside preventing the spring pushing the pawl back onto the teeth.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lochussie
    I've put some photos on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/petersquared/m ... 630&type=3. Any ideas much appreciated, also if anyone has internal photo of similar working shifter.
  • lochussie
    A fair bit of brute force and the pawl is back in place. God knows what the guy I lent the bike to did to it.