Which tyre set up is best out of these 2 ?

CUBEical
CUBEical Posts: 211
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi there been looking to get some slicks/semmi slicks for my mountain bike and was wondering what is the best set up out of these two and why?

Nutrak Slick MTB Bike Tyres 26 x 1.75 + Slime Self Healing Inner Tubes for £22.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160874458829? ... 1438.l2649

or a

Pair 26x2.0 'CX Comp' Semi Slick MTB Tyres with Puncture Protect & Presta Tubes for £28.98

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290871245973? ... 1438.l2649

thanks for your time and input
I am sorry if I talk to much s@#t it goes with the name.............

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Slime tubes are rubbish IMHO.
    So do you want slicks or semi slicks?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you want a slick get a slick, Schwalbe city jet is the go to budget option. Don't bother with slime tubes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CUBEical
    If you want a slick get a slick, Schwalbe city jet is the go to budget option. Don't bother with slime tubes.

would this set up be ok ?

inner tubes
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290863912991? ... 1438.l2649

Tyres
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290901777628? ... 1438.l2649

Would it be better to get a pair of semi slicks? I want to get these to ride purely on the road long distances , so I am thinking full slicks. As I have my big off road tyres already ? I did have my doubts about that slime its just I have had 2 punctures in the last 2 weeks and last 60 miles ... Getting annoying now. What is the best thing to use to fix a puncture ?.
  • CUBEical
    while we on this subject would this be any good or will these be crap ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200590380196? ... 1438.l2649

Slick Blue wall
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    CUBEical wrote:
    What is the best thing to use to fix a puncture ?.

A puncture repaire kit. I find vulcanising ones the best.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    If you've got the money just get decent semi slicks such as conti travel contacts very puncture proof and fast rolling.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • slicks i got a couple of pair of these for on the road and they roll nice and quick
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marath ... city-tyre/

with regards to punctures i just buy some new tubes, i usually buy 5 for around £15 when on offer http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-qua ... ner-tubes/ i can never be bothered fixing the punctures and just carry a couple around with me.
  • Chunkers1980
    I dispare at some people. Do you hang them on trees after you've changed them?
  • cooldad
    What a waste. I was going to ask the same thing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • so you assume because I don't repair my tubes at the side of the road I just chuck them in the hedge back! i do some times have a lag on a tree though. a question was asked and i thought i was giving some input to the OP question.

i get up at 0500 in the morning to be at work for 0600 and commute 8 miles ew, the last thing i want to be doing is fumbling around with puncture repair kits at the side of the road especially when it's dark or raining. and for £3 a tube it is a relatively inexpensive quick fix for me.

living in beautiful North Yorkshire i want to keep it beautiful especially when the TDF comes wizzing through my area next year :D
  • Chunkers1980
    It was just a question.

I understand carrying tubes to sort out a punctured tube, in fact, that's what I do, just I fix them and carry tubes which have often been fixed many many times.
  • CUBEical
    CUBEical wrote:

ahaa yeah i knew about puncture repair kits, just hate them takes me about 3 patches and as many attempts to get the glue to stick. so will try the vulcanising clue you mentioned, i asked this question because some one i know has got tube of some sort of foam in a stick you put over the hole and it seals it sounded a lot easier than patches.
    i get up at 0500 in the morning to be at work for 0600 and commute 8 miles ew, the last thing i want to be doing is fumbling around with puncture repair kits at the side of the road especially when it's dark or raining. and for £3 a tube it is a relatively inexpensive quick fix for me.

I must admit your answer did come across wrong as it is bad to just replace a inner tube because of one puncture, its really not economical for your wallet or the planet. Now if you then take them home and fix it and re use it again then yeah by all means if you got the money to do it like that then who are we to judge, but the way it came across is you just throw them away. When they get a puncture take it that is that not the case ? :lol:
  • cooldad
    CUBEical wrote:
    CUBEical wrote:

ahaa yeah i knew about puncture repair kits, just hate them takes me about 3 patches and as many attempts to get the glue to stick. so will try the vulcanising clue you mentioned, i asked this question because some one i know has got tube of some sort of foam in a stick you put over the hole and it seals it sounded a lot easier than patches.
    The rubber solution you get in puncture kits is vulcanising fluid - have you read the instructions - you wait for it to dry before sticking the surfaces together. Works first time every time.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I run fairly conventional MTB slicks on my commuter, 1 slow puncture and one deflation in 3500 miles...I carry one spare tube and some self adhesive 'get you home' patches. At that risk level I'll do without carrying an extra 600g in tyres or 400g in slime tubes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    or......you could make your own lightweight puncture resistant tubes.

Take a Conti mtb light tube or similar lightweight tube (must have removable valve core) , remove core and fill with 70ml of fluid of your choice.... ends up a similar weight to a standard tube.
  • CUBEical
    cooldad wrote:
    The rubber solution you get in puncture kits is vulcanising fluid - have you read the instructions - you wait for it to dry before sticking the surfaces together. Works first time every time.

Mine just says rubber cement, and there are no instructions,I found out the hard way that you had to apply it to both and let it dry, but some times it still does not work. Just wanted a better way
  • Chunkers1980
    Should be the same stuff that.

San down the tube to give it a good key. Put on the glue and leave for a good couple of mins. Put on patch and push all down hard making sure all the edges come into contact with glue. Then put some weight on it and leave for a further few mins. Then carefully peel back the top part on the patch if you're using this type and then cover in French chalk.
  • cooldad
    I don't bother to try and peel the backing off. I tried once and it just started pulling at the patch so seems easier to just leave it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CUBEical
    cooldad wrote:
    I don't bother to try and peel the backing off. I tried once and it just started pulling at the patch so seems easier to just leave it.
    I am feeling you on that one lol. So many times that has happened I do not even bother now, my first puncture repair kit was a cheap one from my local roys, did not have any chalk, or sand paper just a thing that looks like a mini cheese greater, thats all gone got one from pound land , is there a puncture repair kit worth getting ?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    these work for me;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7206

Although I don't repair tubes til I'm out of new ones. So it's normally kinda, one season using new ones then the following season using all the repaired ones...works for me. Although - no punctures so far this year - I'll probably put that down to a big improvement in technique and an awesome tyre combo! (will probably get three flats on my ride tomorrow now I've said that)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • CUBEical
    thanks i have bookmarked that page and will be getting it when i need a new one
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I use park tool glue less patches on punctures and not had any issues so far with them.

What's the number of repairs on a tube you guys allow before using a new inner tube ?
  • Chunkers1980
    I fix until it is unfixable due to splits or bust valve. Some of mine have more than 10 fixes.
  • CUBEical
    i have one in front and one in back now lol all in the space of a week