3 x Welshmen 23 - Australia 21....discuss

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Since his first international season I've found Roberts to be a bit of a let down. Everyone knows what he is going to do and are just waiting to stop him in his tracks. It's very rare that his charges gain ground now and he has little else to offer. Tuilagi places a similar style but is more likely to get a pass away or try the occassional step. When is the team for Saturday announced?
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    Thursday I believe.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Lions team: Leigh Halfpenny, Tommy Bowe, Brian O'Driscoll, Jonathan Davies, George North, Jonathan Sexton, Ben Youngs; Mako Vunipola, Tom Youngs, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Geoff Parling, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (c), Jamie Heaslip.
    Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Ryan Grant, Dan Cole, Tom Croft, Sean O'Brien, Conor Murray, Owen Farrell, Alex Cuthbert.

Have to say I am just not sure on this one. Decent enough starting team but not enough depth in the replacements, what happens if 1/2p gets a knock
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    simonhead wrote:
    Lions team: Leigh Halfpenny, Tommy Bowe, Brian O'Driscoll, Jonathan Davies, George North, Jonathan Sexton, Ben Youngs; Mako Vunipola, Tom Youngs, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Geoff Parling, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (c), Jamie Heaslip.
    Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Ryan Grant, Dan Cole, Tom Croft, Sean O'Brien, Conor Murray, Owen Farrell, Alex Cuthbert.

Have to say I am just not sure on this one. Decent enough starting team but not enough depth in the replacements, what happens if 1/2p gets a knock

Good question!

I guess Cuthbert would come on and play at either 15 or wing with Tommy Bowe to FB? Sexton is a kicker but does not have that 95% plus success of Farrell or 1/2p and that would be worrying. If we lose 1/2p the Wobs will bombard whoever is at full back.

I guess Phillips must be injured? I hope Youngs lasts as Connor Murray for Lions 9 doesn't quite cut it for me . . .

Thought there would be a place for Tuilagi on the bench to give us a bit of go forward but we'll see,
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • simonhead
    Yeh, I thought Manu would get a place on the bench, seems a very defensive line up and lacks any real hard chargers in the backs.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    simonhead wrote:
    Yeh, I thought Manu would get a place on the bench, seems a very defensive line up and lacks any real hard chargers in the backs.

Really ?

North, Davies, Bowe, I'd even consider BOD, Halfpenny and Youngs to be pretty handy.
  • simonhead
    By hard chargers I meen backs who will stick their head down and go for the heavy hit to set up a second phase. Will give Davies his due, he will tackle but both North and Davies like to get quick space by playing fast along the line rather than drawing tacklers. I think Bowe will struggle with the injury, BOD isnt as mobile as he once was, Halfpenny is an amazing player but if Australia play very defensively may not be given the opportunity to influence the game too much and I like Youngs but he has a lort of work to do putting pressure on Genia.

I am certainly not saying Manu should start but thought he may be on the bench as an impact sub.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Phillips has apparently been nursing a sore knee all tour. Not enough to stop him playing but with Youngs having earned the starting berth with some excellent displays it has made sense for the management to rest Phillips altogether as next week could be critical. Bowe is covering full back I believe.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    Bowe is covering full back - he has played there quite a bit.

I think they'll use Bowe as their main strike runner tomorrow. Looking forward to a bit of Youngs sniping around the fringes and to Lydiate keeping Genia quiet.

Vunipola could be the man to batter it up the park and draw in defenders - I can't see the scrum being weakened significantly with him there despite the fears of many so watching him will be interesting too.

I expect a huge game from Parling tomorrow - amazing opportunity for him, I hope he makes the most of it . . . O'Connell's are big boots to fill.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    article-2351568-1A92D33D000005DC-447_634x466.jpg

I can't WAIT for next Saturday!
    Secretly wanted the Convicts to win, to set up the decider :wink:
    Hope Big George is fully fit next week.
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...