Clip in pedals

the_gills123
the_gills123 Posts: 31
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Just about to make my first clip in pedal purchase. Being relatively new to cycling, I like the look of the Look Keo Easy pedal, which, going by the comments on various sites are easy to get in and out of, light and very durable too. However, I am seeing a few people say that there is no tension adjustment on them which could mean you inadvrtently clip out when climbing hills or sprinting.

I tend to average 16-17mph on my rides so not particularly fast but I was wondering has anyone else got the same pedals and have you found yourself unclipping by accident?

The other option is the look keo classic pedals which have a tension adjuster but are a bit harder to get in and out of apparently.

Any help/advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    It's probably quite unlikely that you would accidentally unclip in either of them.
    As long as you spend some time getting used to them (probably on grass) they are not particularly hard to use but it is almost certain you will fall of a couple of times while getting used to either of them.
  • Thanks for the info. So why is there a price difference between the easy and classic? What's the difference between them? Will the classics offer better performance? I'm also thinking about the Shimano 105's as that matches my group set.
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    I have just fitted Look Keo Classics as my first set of pedals & find them very easy to use, not experienced any issues with getting in and out when needed and no accidental unclipping.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • Thanks for the help. How have you found them performance wise? Have they helped to increase speed or endurance? No noob low speed crashes yet then? Heard that it's a pretty common thing to happen! Lol
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    Speeds up and feet not hurting as they did before think that's down to the bike , fingers x not done the dreaded stop & drop (yet)

Fitted cleats straight on the shoes, and they have sufficient freedom of movement when going along, just a good twist to release when needed.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • fortyone
    fortyone Posts: 166
    I use Look Keo 2 Max pedals which have variable tension, but are about £70 - the Look Keo Easy, I think, are about half that price. I keep the tension on mine at the minimum of 9nms and feet never accidentally come out. The Keo Easy and Classics, I think, are 8nms, which is fine (this information is on their website). I have also tried Shimano 105's once and the minimum tension on them was much greater than the above, so I didn't pursue those.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    LOL. So many posts which are like "I've been cycling for 2 weeks and I average 25mph"
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    LOL. So many posts which are like "I've been cycling for 2 weeks and I average 25mph"

My thoughts exactly, 17 mph average but I don't know what clipless pedals to buy?

Give over sonny.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Thanks for the help. How have you found them performance wise? Have they helped to increase speed or endurance? No noob low speed crashes yet then? Heard that it's a pretty common thing to happen! Lol

Just to be clear, there is no performance increase from any pedal system. Different pedal systems offer different cleat designs, which can affect underfoot feel significantly, though it doesn't bother some people at all. Generally I find that the cyclists with the strongest preference in pedals are the ones who suffer from knee or foot discomfort, and find that one particular system works for them. The shoes that you wear and your cleat placement are both significant factors also, though I've never experienced any discomfort with my Shimano MTB/commuting shoes, no matter how fast I'm going.

But I see no particular place in the world for a pedal system that's expressly easy to get out of. No clipless system can eliminate the learning curve completely.
  • Why the sarcasm on my speed comment? It was relevant to my post...?

Anyway, for the people who decided to post relevant replies to my request for help, I decided to go for the look keo classics... Reason being that they come in red which match my bike, they are supposed to still be easy to get used to and will also give me the flexibility of adjusting tension if I find them too easy to get out of... Which I don't think I will