tires for the alps alps trail not dh

eric_draven
eric_draven Posts: 1,192
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
may seem a daft question but just gathering some thoughts,most of my riding in the alps has been DH only,this time there is going to be a couple of weeks of trail riding,i currenly run maxxis ignitor FR UST,but was wondering about the high roller version for grip and wear rate,as i have never used them before,dh i was minions only,i hve cosidered conti rubber queens but are a bit much for the ust version

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Take a look at the Specialized Butcher Control 2.3. Basically a Minion but better. I find them faster and grippier than a 2.35 Super Tacky Minion but the same size as the 2.5 so are a bit more stable as well. It's got a 2Bliss casing so is tubeless ready. Not too badly priced at £30 either.

Used to use a 2.35 Super Tacky High Roller as well but would pick the Butcher over it and the 2.35 Minion for absolutely everything. Being a 50a compound they last way better than the Super Tacky Maxxis'.

If you feel you could use something slightly tougher, the Control is super tough mind, then the SX is good as well. It has slightly softer side knobs but has a weight penalty along with it.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Schwalbe Hans Dampfs for £60 from bike-discount.de. Super grippy last well and roll pretty well too!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    BC Rubber Queen on front BC Mk2 Protection on back - awesome combo for the trails over here
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8