Just gone to 2X9, chain length and tension questions

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Ive gone down to a 2X9 setup as the big ring was only ever used when i indexed the gears.
Up front i have an M590 crankset with a 32T and 22T ring, rear cassette is 11/32 suits me perfectly im never struggling for a suitable gear.

Question is the chain length, I've not shortened it but i have fitted a Bionicon c.guide which was originally to reduce the chain slap. Should i drop a link or two or just leave it be? An also should i get hold of a proper chain tensioner like a Blackspire Stinger or similar in place of the c.guide?
Also should i drop the front mech as well or leave it be?

If its any help heres the bike in its current config, its on the granny ring and aboute mid way up the rear casstte in the photo.

101_1984_zps83d670d6.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The rules for chain length do not change. Over the two big cogs without the mech. And add one full link ( in this case and any with a device you do need to run the chain through it when changing the length).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Stinger isn't a tensioner - it adds no tension, it just changes the route of the chain.

As Nick says, Big/Big including any static device but not the tensioner (the rear mech).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.