Wheels

stump.jumper
stump.jumper Posts: 28
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
What is the best rear wheel for XC? (26")
I have been told hope hoops pro evo 2's are pretty good and the sound they make are awesome.
If you have an opinion could you provide a link on CRC or something please. No more than £250
Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    A wheel or pair? What standards - Axel and rim?
  • I have these on my bike at the moment
    Custom DT Swiss X420SL, 24mm w/ eyelets, 28/32h
  • FRONT HUB Hi Lo disc, CNC flange, sealed cartridge bearing, 9mm DT RWS, alloy QR, 28h
    REAR HUB Custom DT Swiss 330SL w/ alloy freehub, DT RWS QR, 32h
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is wrong with the ones you have, are good wheels.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Got to disagree with you there SS. The spec. 420sl wheel is flexy and weak. It's an ok weight but nothing special, but the rim is too narrow for anything half big, and it's a very poor cousin or the 4.2 rim on which it's based.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    I disagree back, I own a pair, they are stiff (32/28 spoke) and tough enough for xc riding and my 13 stone weight, relatively light, good hubs. 19/24mm rim is plenty wide enough for most XC tyres. The only slight problem is the 15g spokes, a DB spoke would be better, but I don't see £250 buying anything that is particularly better for the intended use, unless the rider is heavy.

If was riding anything harder, then I would say get something else.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    benpinnick wrote:
    Got to disagree with you there SS. The spec. 420sl wheel is flexy and weak. It's an ok weight but nothing special, but the rim is too narrow for anything half big, and it's a very poor cousin or the 4.2 rim on which it's based.
    I also disagree, i own 420SL rims and i feel it has a good balance of weight to stiffness, and i've had 2.5 minions on there with no problems at all. Granted they're not incredible but a solid wheel they are.
  • benpinnick
    Each to their own. I also have a pair and think they are gash.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    You are not gooing to get anything stiffer though unless you go for 14g spokes of at least 32 spokes in number, and a deeper section, heavier rim.
  • benpinnick
    edited June 2013
    DB spokes and a deeper, wider, lighter rim would be my choice. 420 is hardly svelte. If you like shimano hubs then I agree the hubs are ok, the front one is relatively light too, my main issue is the rim is portly for what you get and I bet it doesn't even actually measure up as 19mm, the spokes are weak and heavy, and the overall wheel build is mediocre.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    I'd be tempted to up the budget to £350 or more to make a good difference.
  • benpinnick
    On the original Q: hope hoops are fine wheels, decent weight, look great, well built. Save you 200ish grams over the current one and look nice. Slow pickup but not worse than the 420s. I'd also consider these : http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=640

Great hubs, lightweight but wider rims, get a pair for 299. Over budget I know, but you do get two!

The pacenti tl28 would have been my choice at 269 a pair but tbh I've had issues with my set recently.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Check out the Crank Bros wheelsets on On-one at the moment, big discounts and they look fantastic.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pity they're made of cheese. Big discounts because they're not worth more.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The ones i have now, the bike mechanic said need replacing.
  • supersonic
    Did he now lol. I'd ask him to be more specific. If they are totally trashed then I'd look at some of the builds above, but not the Crank Bros ones.
  • I have had the wheels 3 years and they have seen better days to be honest.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    3 years sounds a decent lifespan out of these wheels. Could last longer but i wouldn't feel i was wasting money after that length of time so long as the upgrade was significant enough.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    supersonic wrote:
    Did he now lol. I'd ask him to be more specific. If they are totally trashed then I'd look at some of the builds above, but not the Crank Bros ones.
    Are they really that bad? I've always loved the look of them... :(
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets