upgrade to 105 groupset

janyo
janyo Posts: 3
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Hi, I'm a complete novice to this forum and was just wondering if there is anyone out there willing to give advice on my road bike. I love cycling,but unfortunately I haven't been blessed with much money to spend on a decent bike due to a small addition to my family.

I own a basic TREK 1.2 alpha with all its basics and am thinking about upgrading SORA components to 105 groupset (second hand). Is it worth doing it and if so, will the 105 bottom bracket fit where my current UN55 BB is?
I intend to do most of the work myself except changing the above mentioned BB and a cassette.

Are there any potential pitfalls that could cause me any major problems? By the way, I have been fixing my own bikes on most occasions, so not a complete amateur.

Very much appreciate your help and advice.

Comments

• shadow4532
    shadow4532 Posts: 133
    the 105 bottom bracket will fit but dont forget to have your LBS face the bottom bracket shell first.
    other than that there shouldnt be too much that could go wrong and if you do get stuck have a look at the park tools how to guides they are very helpfull for things like this.
    HTH.
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    shadow4532 wrote:
    the 105 bottom bracket will fit but dont forget to have your LBS face the bottom bracket shell first.
    other than that there shouldnt be too much that could go wrong and if you do get stuck have a look at the park tools how to guides they are very helpfull for things like this.
    HTH.

And why does he have to have the bottom bracket faced?
    I've yet to have one faced and I've built up plenty of new and old bikes, mentioned it my LBS and I got a WTF look, unless you get an issue there's just no need.
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    You can buy a chain whip, cassette removal tool and BB removal tool off ebay for only a few quid and do that part of the work yourself. It's not difficult at all and you will use them again in the future.

I also agree about not needing to have your BB shell refaced. I've swapped BB loads of times and never needed to have it done.
  • janyo
    janyo Posts: 3
    Many thanks for you advice guys!
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I wouldn't bother changing until your current groupset bits start to wear out.