Big loveable Jan admits it

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited June 2013 in Pro race
http://www.n-tv.de/sport/Jan-Ullrich-ge ... 68541.html

Is there some kind of important race coming up?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Should give a few Texan fanboys the momentum to bang on about
    "them all being at it, so running his own mini drug cartel was OK".

The pre Tour downtime sure is the season for old doping stories
    and general no news stuff.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Time to start placing bets on what story breaks on Thu? I mean, it's a fine tradition and all...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    I feel for clean Kloden. All those years riding in support of Big Jan only to find out now that he was cheating all along.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Just reported on BBC Sport. Has anyone got a link to more detailed info on precisely what it is he said? No surprise for many of us. Who will be next?
  • TMR
    Oh FFS! How did I miss this? Can a Mod please delete my thread? Sorry OP.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    You really think the BBC is quicker than Iain?

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12928570
  • TMR
    I'm a fool of a Took!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Time to start placing bets on what story breaks on Thu? I mean, it's a fine tradition and all...

"Bears really do sh*t in woods"?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    Finally.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ullrich up Arcalis after 7.5hrs riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhXF9aeJhqw&eurl=

He could have said more than what he did tbh. He made some good money and was a national figure. At least he wasnt a stupid denier.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Finally.

9fb3795e041851c45f4b6cd28e509d22-getty-508684575.jpg

It might be the vicodin, but this made me guffaw out loud in the middle of the diner.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Well it just goes to show that you can take the man out of East Germany but you can't take East Germany out of the man.

At least (to the best of my knowledge) he wasn't a bully. I liked to watch him turn that big gear on the climbs and I hoped and prayed so often in the early noughties that he would get the better that other bloke.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Lance Armstrong ‏@lancearmstrong 6m
    Jan Ullrich? Warm hearted. Amazing athlete. Great competitor. Loved toeing the line with you my friend.

I get the feeling Lance has ridden out the storm and opinion is going to start to go his way again.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited June 2013
    What a creepy little leech he is. Disgusting.

Is he not going to comment on his friend's interview..?

Jan Ullrich in his interview out tomorrow: “What makes me angry the most is that Armstrong was protected by the governing bodies"
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    This just further confirms what I said about LA being in the situation he is in because he did not play nice like other riders. (My example was Indurain). Jan says “Yes, I availed of Fuentes' treatments," Ullrich told Focus. "Almost everyone at the time was taking performance-enhancing substances. I didn’t take anything that was not taken by the others. It would only have been cheating for me if I had gotten an advantage which was not the case. I just wanted to ensure I had an equal opportunity.” and there is only one negative post as I type this, almost no bitter hatred, no calling him a liar or that he is worse then everyone else, etc. Jan is the love able guy who was nice to all, got fat in the winter and finished 2nd in the Tour more then the "Eternal Second" did.
  • confused@BR
    confused@BR Posts: 295
    Reading 'It's Not About The Bike' with the benefit of hindsight is such an instructive exercise. Mr Armstrong truly is a follower of the Imam Ali if that book is to be believed.

Jan Ullrich just seems to be a guy following a path well traveled by fellow athletes of the GDR.
    'fool'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    I'm shocked that the bloke who looked like the chubby kid at school who was always excused from PE yet managed to climb mountains as fast as Pantani was doping :shock:
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Pross wrote:
    I'm shocked that the bloke who looked like the chubby kid at school who was always excused from PE yet managed to climb mountains as fast as Pantani was doping :shock:

He was mainly sat down though, while LA was up dancing like a loon.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I liked Jan. Still do in some ways. I always wanted him to beat Armstrong.
    However, I'm not going try and make out that he was any different than Armstrong. If you cross that line don't complain that someone is better at it than you.

Ullrich joins a long list of dopers who's views on the matter are framed to make out that they were really the victims of a system (not entirely invalid for some, but not if you're winning big races).

Now I don't hate Ullrich. I don't hate Armstrong either.

On twitter Armstrong has the general theme of him being the scapegoat of a generation that he didn't create, just one that he mastered. I agree with him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Of course, for some people, it isn't just the dope with Lance. It is that he would try to destroy those who called him out and he was tough on teammates that wanted to ride for themselves.

There are other issues involved in why Lance gets an avalanche of hate.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    well...one person lance didn't cheat was Ullrich!