Gear problem

wizzywig27
wizzywig27 Posts: 18
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

Wondering if someone could advise what may be wrong with my rear gears, when I push he bike backwards the chain goes from 4th one down to the bottom one, but only when going backwards, when I pedal it goes back into the gear it should be in. The gear is a SRAM X5

Is this something I should be worried about?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No - think about it, the mech leads the chain from the bottom - there's nothing guiding the top so it just aims for the natural chain line.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • wizzywig27
    Makes sense, just the missus' bike don't do it..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Older bikes with less gears and stiffer (upto 8 speed) chains are less prone to it, also a less worn chain won't do it as much as one with one that has developed a bit of play.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wizzywig27
    Ok, both bikes are brand new, one is 27 speed and one is 24, both bikes have been ridden once (it's the 27 speed that is doing it)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Doesn't sound like you'll be doing many tricks, so just perhaps pick the back wheel up when pushing it backwards? It may stop once it's worn in a little.
  • wizzywig27
    So is this a common problem, like I say it's odd that one is doing and one is not
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    wizzywig27 wrote:
    So is this a common problem, like I say it's odd that one is doing and one is not
    There is nothing wrong with either bikes.

It just happens. Some do some don't. Some do and then they stop. Some don't do it but then when a new chain is fitted they do.

Just go ride them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    wizzywig27 wrote:
    Ok, both bikes are brand new, one is 27 speed and one is 24, both bikes have been ridden once (it's the 27 speed that is doing it)
    9 speed chains are thinner and less stiff than 8 speed ones as I said.

You don't have a problem, it's a 'characteristic' and perfectly normal.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    It is fairly normal that the chain goes down one step, but to the bottom, onto the smallest gear? You got 9 gears, so the 4th is almost in the center, supposedly close to the optimal chain line. Even a badly adjusted rear derailleur shouldn't cause that. A slightly misadjusted one might cause the chain to drop by one gear. How is shifting on that bike?

Check, if the rear wheel isn't tilted. That is the only idea I have.
  • The Rookie
    Ignore MM he's being a dufus (as with most his posts) as the rear mech has no effect at all as it's after the cassette.