Short wheelbase AM Hardtail that jumps, does it exist?

skinnerooony
skinnerooony Posts: 35
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Howdy all.

I've had a bit of biking resurgence in recent years, I'm guessing many people have a similar story.

When I was young I wouldn't spend a minute off my bike (an Orange Air-O jump bike). I got to a reasonably level of ability but as I got older I stopped getting out as much and couldn't justify riding round on a tiny frame. A couple of years ago I felt the urge to get back on the bike and brought a cheapish mongoose xc jobby. It looked fairly slack in geometry but boy did it feel different to my orange. I felt like a dead weight on it and was near impossible to manual or flick about.

I've since moved to a Genesis Alpitude which is much much better! But it still feels a bit long and not as responsive as I'd like. I've checked the geometry and it does seems to be a bit longer that some of the others (seatstays length etc).

Maybe I'm after a bike that doesn't exist. I'm well aware my dirt jumping days are over but they're must be something which is still flickable and easy to get on the back wheel? There's plenty of hardcore hardtails out there but I think many of them would be the same as my Alpitude. I've heard some good things about the Stanton Slackline and the NS Surge. Just wondering if anyone has got any ideas or has been through the same thing?

Shabba

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    My One One 456 Evo is incredibly easy to get on the back wheel. Could wheelie that thing all day.

It's also alright in the saddle for longer rides and handles like a dream going down.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Towards the cheaper end, get a good used GT Chucker or Scott Voltage YZ, with some decent forks they are a good compromise between a jump style frame sizing and something you can actually go for a ride on.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers for the responses. I know there's many frames out there which claim to do the job. I guess what I'm really interested in is geometry and what the difference is between say and alpitude, cotic, 456 etc and the slackline or the surge etc.