Making progress...

ct8282
ct8282 Posts: 414
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
So I've been out on my roadie a grand total of 9 times now. Before this bike I had never owned or ridden a road bike so its a learning curve but one I'm very much enjoying.

The first 5 or 6 rides seemed consistent. Consistently hard and I made little progress other than to get a 30 miler done. My average speeds were hovering around 15 to 15.5mph. However, after going out with a mate who's fairly experienced recently, and after he completely embarrassed me (lol) I have upped my game. The last 2 rides I have done were round previous circuits, one being 17 miles and the other 26 miles. In both cases I smashed loads of my segments PR's but most pleasing for me is that my average time is creeping up now. Tonight I did the 26 miles circuit and dragged my average speed from 15.2mph the previous time I rode it, to 17mph this time.

I know its not a lot compared to some of you but as long as I'm seeing progress it keeps me motivated. I still have a lot of adjusting to get the bike setup I think, as my lower back starts to hurt around 20 miles but I'm sure a lot of that is just my body adjusting too. My legs seem to be adapting and getting stronger very quickly though.

http://app.strava.com/activities/61919404

Comments

• SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Great news that you are enjoying it and making progress.

I started from scratch about 6 months ago and have been through exactly the same things. FWIW, I wouldn't get too worried about average speed just yet and aim to get as many miles on the bike as possible-although 17 mph is pretty good, even if your route is fairly flat and 15mph is what most people average on a longer ride with some hills, so you are definitely on the pace.

As for aches and pains and bike set up, I've recently had a Retul bike fit and wish I'd done it when I first started as its made a huge difference. It's not cheap at between £140-£180 depending where you go but in terms on the difference it makes, it's money we'll spent and I'd highly recommend it.

Good luck and keep on racking those miles up!
  • ct8282
    SoSimple wrote:
    Great news that you are enjoying it and making progress.

I started from scratch about 6 months ago and have been through exactly the same things. FWIW, I wouldn't get too worried about average speed just yet and aim to get as many miles on the bike as possible-although 17 mph is pretty good, even if your route is fairly flat and 15mph is what most people average on a longer ride with some hills, so you are definitely on the pace.

As for aches and pains and bike set up, I've recently had a Retul bike fit and wish I'd done it when I first started as its made a huge difference. It's not cheap at between £140-£180 depending where you go but in terms on the difference it makes, it's money we'll spent and I'd highly recommend it.

Good luck and keep on racking those miles up!

Thanks mate and good to hear you're getting on so well.

17mph average was on a route with 1100ft total climbing so some fairly long and painful climbs too, and I'm on a standard chainset so its really testing me but I've told myself I won't give in and swap to a compact.

I keep thinking about a proper bike fit but will have to wait until I can justify the funds. For now I seem to make slights adjustments after each ride which makes small improvements but I know eventually I should have a proper fit done.
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    go on youtube ct8282 and search for "bike fit" and watch some of the vids on there.it will put you in the ball park as a fit goes.thats what I did an to be honest i'm quite happy with it,never have an ache or pain after any length of cycle(biggest to date is 64miles)...just stick it on a trainer and work from there if you have one or just get someone to hold you upright.

worth a shot anyway!! :wink::wink:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • ct8282
    go on youtube ct8282 and search for "bike fit" and watch some of the vids on there.it will put you in the ball park as a fit goes.thats what I did an to be honest i'm quite happy with it,never have an ache or pain after any length of cycle(biggest to date is 64miles)...just stick it on a trainer and work from there if you have one or just get someone to hold you upright.

worth a shot anyway!! :wink::wink:

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. I will most definitely do that. Is it something I can do myself or would I need a hand?