Kaspersky and me...

Mikey23
Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
edited June 2013 in The cake stop
They had a good deal on so decided to purchase their Internet security suite and install on my PC and missus' laptop. Big mistake. Trashed her machine, couldn't load Firefox, couldn't open lots of progs on either machine and wouldn't allow itself to be uninstalled. After dialogue with what seems to be the Russian mafia, managed to get money back today and have now installed bullguard...

Anyone have similar experience with this pile of poo?

Comments

• My opinions regarding "security software" are more Bottom Bracket than Cake Stop.
    Mangeur
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's Fucken Shite.

The one time I installed it, it disabled all my USB devices.

So my keyboard and mouse didn't work.

Oooookay. So then I had to dig out an ancient IBM PS2 keyboard (thank god I'm a hoarder) to uninstall the bastard.

I stick to MSE these days.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    Probably because, scarily enough, it's actually pretty good, or more to the point provides basic protection* against common threats without actually crippling the machine.

* Which is all anything can ever provide. IMHO, any vendors of such stuff that claim otherwise should be shot with a large ball of their own excrement.
    Mangeur
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Ex got it free through the bank so thought I would try it n her machine, slowed it down it was basically useless, yet it didn't seem to take up that much resource. Uninstalled. I do like bull guard, used it for years and the work machines still have it, but I have moved to MS security essentials on personal stations and it seems to work a treat
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I used it for about three years and thought it was pretty good. Certainly didn't have those sort of problems.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    DesWeller wrote:
    It's Fucken Shite.

The one time I installed it, it disabled all my USB devices.

So my keyboard and mouse didn't work.

Oooookay. So then I had to dig out an ancient IBM PS2 keyboard (thank god I'm a hoarder) to uninstall the bastard.

Fukkk me, not an IBM PS2 keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shyyyyyyt dude, that puts it all into perspective. Last time I saw one of those I swear all our jaws dropped. The indignaty (sic)of it all.

I'd say the hoarding came in lucky on this time!!!!!!!!!!!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Well I suppose you could argue that if you couldn't open a browser and use the internet it was protecting you in a way :? It seems the big name brand ones are often the worst, Mcafee being another, always making systems slow to the point of almost being unusable and being utter swines to uninstall.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Mac's do not need security programmes because nobody targets them.

Win.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    the founder of mcafee has made an excellent video on how to uninstall his ex-company's products, his method does look generally applicable...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/19 ... all_video/

best watched full screen

btw, the free version of avast antivirus is far less invasive than most
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425

Win.

I was at a complete loss to understand what this thread was about, until you posted, thank you. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Mac's do not need security programmes because nobody targets them.

Win.
    [self didCryLaughing];
    Mangeur
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    GCHQ pi77 themselves laffing at Macs
    NSA actually take the latte supping users seriously though........................
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    team47b wrote:

Win.

I was at a complete loss to understand what this thread was about, until you posted, thank you. :D

Me too. I thought Mikey23 had been involved in a game of chess with a Russian grandmaster or summat.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    ...or a film about a big loveable dog that dies in tragic circumstances saving its owner from a fate worse than death