Dura Ace 9000 Brake Adjust

Skerryman
Skerryman Posts: 323
edited June 2013 in Workshop
I finally got my new steed this week and all seems great except the front brake caliper is closer to the rim on one side than it is on the other and I'd like to get it centered. It's not rubbing the rim but it is enough to cause the rim to be pushed to one side when applying the brakes. There are several allen bolts on the caliper but I'm not sure which one I need to adjust to fix it. I read online that the small one at the side adjusts the caliper alignment but I'm not able to get it centered using that one. Anyone know how to get this sorted please ???

Comments

• extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    Small one on top on one arm on most calipers, not sure about dura ace though!

If the caliper was badly aligned whe .installed there might not be enough adjustment to sort it without recentring the whole thing though.
  • Skerryman
    extrusion wrote:
    Small one on top on one arm on most calipers, not sure about dura ace though!

If the caliper was badly aligned whe .installed there might not be enough adjustment to sort it without recentring the whole thing though.

I seen references to the small one on the top of the caliper but there doesn't seem to be one on the new DA caliper.
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    Just twiddle them all and work out what does what. :D

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 817092.pdf

Looks like 3 or 4 on here, but I'd go with 4.
  • Skerryman
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    Just twiddle them all and work out what does what. :D

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 817092.pdf

Looks like 3 or 4 on here, but I'd go with 4.

4 gives a tiny bit of adjustment but only really noticeable on the side the bolt is on and is almost all the way tight, turning it the other way only brings the caliper centering the way I don't want it to go. Wonder what mystery bolt number 3 does? Can't find much online.
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    That sounds like it's doing what it should, but sounds like it's adjusted all the way in one direction and that you need to loosen the main fork pivot bolt to centre the caliper, then micro adjust with the screw?
  • Skerryman
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    That sounds like it's doing what it should, but sounds like it's adjusted all the way in one direction and that you need to loosen the main fork pivot bolt to centre the caliper, then micro adjust with the screw?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing myself but didn't want to go lashing into the main bolt, also I only have a shitty set of allen keys that won't really get me in there. A club mate of mine has a work shop down the road so might just drop it down to him in the morning and get him to sort it, probably only a two minute job.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Skerryman wrote:
    jezzpalmer wrote:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing myself but didn't want to go lashing into the main bolt, also I only have a sh!tty set of allen keys that won't really get me in there. A club mate of mine has a work shop down the road so might just drop it down to him in the morning and get him to sort it, probably only a two minute job.

4 is the one to use. I have a set of these brakes. The screw works through a LIMITED range of adjustment. Best bet is to unscrew it about halfway THEN center the pads by moving the whole brake assembly by loosening the main mounting bolt and re-tightening. THEN you will be able to make small adjustments with bolt #4 either way you need to. It's not meant to make huge adjustments. That's what the main mounting bolt is for - getting it close. The #4 screw needs to be able to move both in and out to get the brakeset in that final "perfect" spot.
  • Skerryman
    dennisn wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:
    jezzpalmer wrote:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing myself but didn't want to go lashing into the main bolt, also I only have a sh!tty set of allen keys that won't really get me in there. A club mate of mine has a work shop down the road so might just drop it down to him in the morning and get him to sort it, probably only a two minute job.

4 is the one to use. I have a set of these brakes. The screw works through a LIMITED range of adjustment. Best bet is to unscrew it about halfway THEN center the pads by moving the whole brake assembly by loosening the main mounting bolt and re-tightening. THEN you will be able to make small adjustments with bolt #4 either way you need to. It's not meant to make huge adjustments. That's what the main mounting bolt is for - getting it close. The #4 screw needs to be able to move both in and out to get the brakeset in that final "perfect" spot.

Thanks for that. Gonna get a mate to adjust the main mounting bolt for me tomorrow as I don't have an proper allen key that can get in there, I'll get him to adjust bolt 4 halfway while he's at it. Pads not rubbing or anything, but it is pushing the rim to one side before both pads make contact so would like to get it sorted.