brake servicing

P34RC3
P34RC3 Posts: 37
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey all

Brought a 2nd hand carrera kraken today. The gears were playing up but now they are sorted. Im just left with terrible brakes. The guy I got the bike from said he had changed the oil recently but they just don't seem to work well at all. The bike has covered 580miles and itsva 2010/11 model. Could it just be pads or should I start with the fluid?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You should start with some more info. What are they and how do they not work?
  • Looks as though they are Clarks sx. 3 part you tube clips if you Google search.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, do the levers feel right but you have no braking, or do the levers feel mushy and pull back to the bars.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hope he actually changed the brake fluid and didn't use oil.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • P34RC3
    They have alot of travel in the leavers and its almost impossible to even lock them up. They are not like the last bike I rode with hydraulic brakes. Are they not usually lethal? Ill check what brakes they are. I haven't a clue how many parts they have tho.
  • P34RC3
    Tektro auriga comp and also says mineral oil on them
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    If they pull all the way back to the bars, it might be a case of bubbles - drain the system and start afresh incase he used the wrong oil type and have them properly bled. This usually solves most issues.
  • cooldad
    Tektro are mineral oil. Sounds like he did a rubbish job. Bleed or replace the fluid, and check the pads.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • P34RC3
    Can I get the fluid from halfords? Also do you need a special bleeding kit like you do on a car?
  • cooldad
    Yes and yes. Any mineral oil will do - Shimano use it so that would be a safe bet.
    Epic bleed kits are good and cheap - see if they have one.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools