Kids

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited June 2013 in Pro race
I know this is the race forum. but if anyone is looking for a bike for their little ones, I have just received an Islabike Beinn 20 small, and it is fantastic.

My lad tried out a Marin, a Kona, a Trek and a Ridgeback at local shops and each one was ever so slightly too big even at the lowest seat setting, in addition the gears were too tough for little hands and the brakes all had to be adjusted in the shops to their nearest settings. Each time my boy came out of the shop feeling a bit upset and not wanting a bigger bike (Currently got a Specialized Hot Rock 16 which has been great because of the coaster brake).

He tried the Islabike today and it's a breeze on all counts, he loved it. Went for a quick spin, and now put away for his birthday next week, when I can feel a long ride coming on. At speed!

One happy boy.

Comments

• bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    Joelsim wrote:
    I know this is the race forum. but if anyone is looking for a bike for their little ones, I have just received an Islabike Beinn 20 small, and it is fantastic.

My lad tried out a Marin, a Kona, a Trek and a Ridgeback at local shops and each one was ever so slightly too big even at the lowest seat setting, in addition the gears were too tough for little hands and the brakes all had to be adjusted in the shops to their nearest settings. Each time my boy came out of the shop feeling a bit upset and not wanting a bigger bike (Currently got a Specialized Hot Rock 16 which has been great because of the coaster brake).

He tried the Islabike today and it's a breeze on all counts, he loved it. Went for a quick spin, and now put away for his birthday next week, when I can feel a long ride coming on. At speed!

One happy boy.

Which pro team does your kid ride for ? :D
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

I think it's the CBeebies Cadburys Toys-R-Us Team :wink:
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:

One happy boy.

Boy van Poppel.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Close the bathroom door and have your altrustic w@nk in private please ... your son is getting a bike, who gives a sh!t ... If he wins a World Tour race by the end of the year I'll take it all back ...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Close the bathroom door and have your altrustic w@nk in private please ... your son is getting a bike, who gives a sh!t ... If he wins a World Tour race by the end of the year I'll take it all back ...
    Charming. Sure you've spelt your username right?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Seriously? This is the poster you want to be?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294

Can a mod please ban this idiot?
  • To Crankbrother: don't think altruistic was the word you wanted there. Maybe try "narcissistic". If you're going to be a vile smart-ass troll, at least have the decency to get it right.

To the OP: yes, Islabikes are super. Proper mini-bikes rather than BSOs for children.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    To Crankbrother: don't think altruistic was the word you wanted there. Maybe try "narcissistic". If you're going to be a vile smart-ass troll, at least have the decency to get it right.

To the OP: yes, Islabikes are super. Proper mini-bikes rather than BSOs for children.

Hmmm agree with the sentiment don but i think narcissistic isnt right either, smug may be.

definition having or showing an excessive pride in oneself or one's achievements: he was feeling smug after his win. or he was feeling smug after buying his kid a bike so he had a little quality time in the bathroom.

Either way crank brothers comment was a tad on the self indulgently harsh side. :D:D:D
  • joelsim
    Whatever...it's a very nice bike, it's unusual when something exceeds your expectations and lives up to its billing.

Haven't had any quality time in the bathroom either as I used all the tissues for my tears.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Joelsim wrote:
    Whatever...it's a very nice bike, it's unusual when something exceeds your expectations and lives up to its billing.

Haven't had any quality time in the bathroom either as I used all the tissues for my tears.

HAHAHAHHA :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Joelsim wrote:

That doesn't excuse using the curtains ... ever ...

In fairness, that was a very even handed and relatively witty response ... I'll admit my grump may have been a tad OTT ...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    There's a reason why they are by far the most prevalent bikes in youth races. Isla put a lot of thought into what a quality kids bike needs rather than just making a small frame with crap parts. They are a bit pricey but as long as they are looked after hold their value so well you don't lose much on them.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199

I wonder why a lot of people despise cyclists. Read the above post for one very big reason.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Joelsim wrote:

Unlike many kids bikes, the Islabikes are actually sized for children, and designed from the outset with them in mind. They're popular in the club I coach at (Go-Ride), and we have around 10-12 or so Islas owned by the club itself and loaned out each week. They hold their value really well, too - a good job, as they cost a fair bit and kids grow quickly. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Bought two for my kids 2 Christmas's ago... A mountain and a road bike.....middle one loves her MTB and big one rode up plateau Baille on her racer on the day the tour went up. On the way down both Hoogerland and Gilbert rode alongside her to chat (ignored me but hey Ho)....can't guarantee this with every Isla bike.... But they're bloody good for kids. YGWYPF in most cases.