Drive train issues SRAM derailleur, shimano cassette, suntou

beiciojones
beiciojones Posts: 11
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
cranks and god knows what chain.

I'm trying to fix up an old bike for my nephew, it has new Suntour cranks & chainrings to replace those that were on it, however now the chain appears to slip on the rear cassette. It's probably a worn chain, but with the mix of shimano 7 speed cassette, SRAM X3 derailleur, Suntour cranks I have to admit I'm at a loss as to which chain to install to get it up & running again.

I'm guessing I should probably change the cassette as well?

Any thoughts please people?

Thanks
Jonesey

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Could be worn rings too, so for now I would just replace the chain. Any 7 or 8 speed chain will do.

If it continues to slip, replace cassette and chainrings.
  • Thanks, Chainrings have just been replaced along with cranks, but I thought it might be one of those things where replacing one component simply moves the problem further along the chain (no pun intended).

Jonesey
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The different makes are irrelevant as they are all compatable.

Worn chain slipping on new chainwheels, or chain slipping on worn cassette/Freewheel, or a shifting issue so it's ghost shifting to a lower gear!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks.

"Ghost shifting"??
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shifting breifly (due to poor indexing) for a small part of the wheel rotation and then back again so it feels like skipping.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.