105 Double 10 spd Shifter installation problem

gary.hounsome
gary.hounsome Posts: 296
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Hi I have 105 5700 double 10 speed shifters and have installed them on the bars, connected all cables.

I took the old chain off the old 9 spd cassette when in the lowest gear on the front and highest gear on the back.

I then installed the new 10 speed parts the same way.
The 10 speed rear shifter will not shift the gears at all, and there are only 3 noticeable clicks when I shift downwards, it doesn't then click at all when going back up.

Any ideas?

Comments

• It's not pulling the cable at all
  • I've looked closer at the inside of the shifter and it seems the cog will move up 3 places presumably to the lowest gear, then it will click up gears 3 times and I can see the cog moving inside the shifter then it gets stuck from there not rotating the cog any further

Hope that makes sense
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    No wish to be funny but you haven't got front & rear shifters mixed up - the front would only have 3 clicks?
  • No the left shifter is a double the 105 decal is showing outwards, and I can see more cogs, it's a new shifter so only saying what I see it may not be worn so any other ideas appreciated
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Disconnect the cables from the deralliuer and see if it clicks ok then.
    I would've thought u want the rear deralliuer on the smallest cog and same on the front as that's least tension on the cable when attaching.
  • It sounds similar to the problem I encountered yesterday when a friend fitted a new inner cable. He hadn't indexed the shift lever (small rear one) all the way to the end before inserting the cable. This resulted in the cable end jamming and a similar situation to the one you are experiencing.

The solution was to gently coax the cable end clear and pull the cable out. Re-inserting the cable after indexing the lever cured the problem.

Hope its as simple as that. :)
  • Ah, how would I index the lever then? I wasn't aware that I could, I've tried shifting with the cable loose from the derailleur and its just the same.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Have you clicked the lever all the way down before starting to insert the cable - you have to start at the very bottom to give a full range of travel.
  • imsimon
    imsimon Posts: 181
    Yossie wrote:
    Have you clicked the lever all the way down before starting to insert the cable - you have to start at the very bottom to give a full range of travel.

+1
    I had the same problem as you, I had gone all the way down. but the cable didnt quite drop in properly, once you see it it will all make sense!
  • I'll go give it a try, I only tried clicking down when loosening the cable from the rear derailleur not by removing it completely.
  • sorted! thank you all for your help, took the cable out which allowed me to shift all the way down, now looks like I have cut down my 10 speed chain too short!