What's that old 'Nuclear Apocalypse' film called?

Cubic
Cubic Posts: 594
edited June 2013 in The cake stop
I remember watching a film (maybe a tv film) back in the late 80s early 90s about a man who wakes up one day and everyone is dead. It turns out there was a radiation leak from a nearby nuclear power station, which killed everyone.
It's been annoying me greatly that I can't remember what the film is called. Can anyone help?

The only other bit I can remember about it is when the man goes to the power station's control room, he sees another man sitting at a chair with his back to him. He walks to the man, turns the chair around, and.... it's a grotesque withered corpse!!!!!!! AAAAarghh!!!!

I was about 8 when I watched it.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The Quiet Earth? NZ film.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Omega Man starring Charlton Helston?
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    I thought it could be the Omega Man, but no, I watched the trailer on youtube and it isn't.

The Quiet Earth however!

I think this could be the winner. I don't recognise a lot of the story and in my memories I'm sure there is some sort of radioactive cloud travelling towards the city. But I was very young when I watched it and the mists of time could be playing their part.

It does have the rotating chair with the withered corpse though. And I think that clinches it for me. That scene was up there with the one in Jaws when he finds the dead body underwater for me!
  • Eastenders ?
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    That old rotating chair with the withered corpse thing again... Such a tired cliche!
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Only one women left in the world and she's ginger? Nightmare!
  • The one where Australia is the only place the fallout cloud hasn't reached, yet.

Film is "On The Beach" from the book of the same name by Nevil Shute
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    There's a half decent book entitled "down to a Sunless Sea" where a plane (one of many) is mid flight when an all out nuclear war starts. Airports are the first targets and the crew are struggling to find somewhere to land.

I won't spoil the ending, but if it does kick off big time I want to be pissed out of my head and right underneath one of the first bombs to fall.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    TV drama Z for Zaccaria?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    OP, have you found the film yet? Although Im pretty sure I haven't seen it and can't help, it will bother me if we don't get closure.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Probably not the one you were referring to, but a classic Nuclear Apocalypse film was Threads.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090163/
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    squired wrote:
    Probably not the one you were referring to, but a classic Nuclear Apocalypse film was Threads.

Threads will give you nightmares for weeks.

Although post apocalyptic Sheffield looks much the same.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • squired wrote:

Threads will give you nightmares for weeks.

Although post apocalyptic Sheffield looks much the same.
    Threads STILL gives me nightmares
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    DesWeller wrote:
    The Quiet Earth? NZ film.
    I saw this late at night on TV a long time ago and had always wondered what it was. I think I'd convinced myself it was The Omega Man, but having read the synopsis on Wikipedia I don't think I've ever seen that. Thanks to the OP and DW for clearing this up for me!

It wasn't the withered corpse in the chair that stuck with me (don't actually recall that scene), but the ending of the film that I still remember vividly.
  • On the subject of Threads, a bit of Pro Cyclist look-a-like action...

The cover of the the Radio Times featuring Threads
    120626024830-tour-8-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Laurens ten Dam
    rtcover.jpeg
    Mangeur
  • The random but cool things you can find out on a bike forum amaze me.

One film and one book added to the list