I can not get my gears to work correctly

simbob3
simbob3 Posts: 12
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Hi, i got a query which i need someone with more tech knowledge of shifters. Any suggestions gratefully received.

I have a Giant Rapid 1 flat bar road bike, tiagra 9sp shifters, 105 rear mech, riding every day. About 6 months or so ago i started to getting shifting problems at the rear, but just put it down to needing some fine tuning adjustments and kept trying things intermittently, i.e. adjusting the stops, the adjustment screws on the shifters (almost daily whilst riding), with no success. The problem seemed to be the alignment of the indexing so whilst i could get it working fine at either one end of the gears, not the other at the same time, or even weirder at top and bottom, but with problems in the middle of the range. Only really presents under pressure i.e. when riding. I opened up the casing to have a look, nothing looked out of place - but don't really know what i'm looking at, sprayed with GT88 and put back - no better! The shifter itself seems fine, it's sharp, clean, no damage.

Anyway 3 months ago replaced chain, cassette, cables and cable outers and still the problem persists. Is there any way of adjusting anything on the shifters? I noticed the teeth on the ratchet inside are not all the same size (which was surprising), so this is why i ask about adjustment. (Another quirk of the same shifter is that i had to remove the bottom cover once and then leave it off permanently as it wouldn't shift at all with it screwed on - placed on yes, but not with screws tightened!)

I recently (last week) swapped it with an old Deore shifter i have and this works fine, and would have used that, but that is worn out/gunked up and the bottom lever doesn't return, so not a long term solution.

LBS response = we can sell you a new one for lots of money.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Firstly, as you sure its the shifter - most common problems are down to dirty cables or mis-aligned rear mech (bent hanger or frame).

There's very little that's adjustable or serviceable on the inside of any Shimano shifter - appears that they designed them that way! Apart from the dousing with GT85 if there's any dried grease / dirt inside, there's not much else you can do apart from replacing it. If the ratchet is engaging/releasing correctly in both directions, suspect that problem is elsewhere.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    Are you sure you're clamping the inner cable correctly on the mech. If you have it on the wrong side of the bolt/studded post you'll get exactly the symptoms you describe (because the angle of cable pull changes and you get the wrong amount of movement in the mech for a given amount of cable pull). The effect worsens the further up/down the cassette you go. Have a good look at the mech/clamping washer and/or consult the tech documents carefully - there should be a faint groove that indicates where the cable inner should run.
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content ... le.html/01)%20100%20Causes%20of%20Bad%20Shifting.pdf