edited June 2013 in Road beginners
bianchi_01.jpg
bianchi_02.jpg
bianchi_03.jpg
bianchi_04.jpg
bianchi_05.jpg
bianchi_06.jpg
bianchi_07.jpg

Frame has a made in Italy decal, other than that see pics for more info. I have no idea what it is, but the size is 59cms.

The serial number is stamped on the head tube and is something like this' OE 30848' could be wrong about the first letters tho' they are quite hard to make out. maybe OL or 01 or something similar.

Stem is a ttt and handlebars are Cinelli.
Rear derailleur is a Campa Nuovo Gran Sport.
Crank is a Campa 'GS' (Gran Sport I assume).
Front derailleur is a Shimano 600.
Rims are Mavic GP4's, hubs say Campa 'Record'.
Still has the original Campa drinking bottle, maybe it helps.
Brakes are Universal (MOD-125), levers are Modolo.

If anyone knows anything about what year it is, what model and any other info it would be awesome!

Cheers!

Comments

• RiderUk
    RiderUk Posts: 71
    "Wow" nice bike,
    I would say 1970/1980's, you could also present the question to http://www.lfgss.com/.
    London Fixed Gear Single Speed forum.
    Where's that bike been over the years,as it looks to be in very good order for it's age.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Better asking on Retrobike - most on LFGSS weren't born in the 80s ;-)

Columbus Zeta would indicate early-mid 80s at latest, also judging by the frame fittings and parts. Zeta is an unbutted, seamed chro-mo tubing, so on a par with Reynolds 501 and therefore fairly low in the hierarchy. Shimano 500 front mech is interesting addition to an Italian-built bike - probably a replacement.

Some new cables, lube and TLC will get it going on - don't go spending lots because you're unlikely to recoup your costs.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Cheers for the answers, its great finding out some info about this beauty.

I believe it was standing in a dry cellar for the last 20 years or so, when I saw its condition I had to have it. Ill give it a good clean down and replace some of the parts (the front Shimano to a campa so it goes with the rest of the bike) change cables and such, keep it tight and tidy.

Im not in it for the profit, just like the looks of a well designed and built bike with a little history behind it. :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Columbus Zeta would indicate early-mid 80s at latest, also judging by the frame fittings and parts. Zeta is an unbutted, seamed chro-mo tubing, so on a par with Reynolds 501 and therefore fairly low in the hierarchy.

Reynolds 501 is double or single butted but you are right about the seamed cro mo. Weighs about 100g more apparently than a 531st frame. 501 isn't really low in the hierarchy. No idea about Columbus though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Greg-46a
    Greg-46a Posts: 24
    Lovely bike, and still with the matching bottle! I'd definitely head over to retrobike.co.uk, some very knowledgeable people there (and more great looking bikes too).
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Rolf F wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Columbus Zeta would indicate early-mid 80s at latest, also judging by the frame fittings and parts. Zeta is an unbutted, seamed chro-mo tubing, so on a par with Reynolds 501 and therefore fairly low in the hierarchy.

Reynolds 501 is double or single butted but you are right about the seamed cro mo. Weighs about 100g more apparently than a 531st frame. 501 isn't really low in the hierarchy. No idea about Columbus though.

This is quite a low end 'lightweight' bike - Bianchi traded on their reputation (and still do). However it is still a reasonable thing to have and will probably ride a lot better than many ultra stiff and unforgiving modern bikes.

Zeta was a notch or two below Columbus SL - the equivalent of 531 (IIRC Columbus Aelle was just below SL).

(531ST is Super Tourist and much heavier than 531 and was used for touring bikes capable of carrying heavy loads.)