New to Road Biking

Cogsy1976
Cogsy1976 Posts: 143
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi, I am new to Road biking I pick up my first bike tonight (2nd hand Carrera Zelos) I am converting from mountain biking so this is all new to me, I was (and still am to be fair) an avid mountain biker!

My Q's are what extras do you think I will need ie. in terms of clothing, I have a mountain biking helmet is it acceptable to wear this? and also what about shoes and pedals etc.. I currently ride with flat pedals on my mtb and have never tried being clipped in, the new bike has toe clips are these ok to use?? was just going to use my trainers but I do have the money to go out and buy new helmet, shoes, pedals etc (but I would rather not!) and do you need to wear gloves?

Sorry for all the Q's I am completely clueless but cant wait to get out and about!

Comments

• Padded shorts and glasses (there are loads of insects around at the moment!) are the only things I would consider essential. My road bike came with toe clips which I couldn't get on with so I replaced them with SPDs which are much easier to use - once you get used to them you just stick your feet on the pedals with no faffing around trying to get the pedals the right way up. I always have a lightweight windproof/showerproof jacket in a jersey pocket just in case but rarely use it. I tend to go a lot further on my road bike too so I make sure I have enough to repair punctures (spare tubes, pumps, etc).
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Cogsy,

I've just done exactly this - had a MTB for two years, picked up my first ever road bike about a month ago. My answer to your questions (others may well disagree) is - its up to you!! I wear the helmet I bought with my MTB whilst on my road bike - i'm sure some would cringe at that, but i'm not bothered!! I'm currently on flat pedals on both bikes, I don't get on with toe clips at all, tried them on both bikes but don't like them - but others say they're fine on road bikes. And if you look down the page in this forum you'll see my thread on converting to clipless - just a matter of time for me now! Gloves - I wear gloves in the winter on my MTB but recently got some gloves to use on my road bike - didn't like them!!!

Enjoy the new bike - taken me 80+miles of cycling to get used to a road bike (compared to a MTB), but commuted to work on it this morning (14miles) for the first time - confidence is building and I really enjoyed the ride. :)
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Cogsy1976
    Thanks for your replies guys, glad you are getting on ok Schoie I have literally just sold my full sus to fund a road bike and a hardtail mountain bike I do have some money left in the budget for extras but to be honest I don't think Im going to use it, would prefer to spend the money on other things!

I will have a read of your thread.
    Cheers
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Cogsy1976 wrote:
    I currently ride with flat pedals on my mtb and have never tried being clipped in, the new bike has toe clips are these ok to use??

I wouldn't use toe clips tbh, they are pretty dangerous as they can be difficult to get out of. For a first time using clipless pedals get yourself a set of M520's with SPD shoes (not SPD-SL) and you can't go far wrong.
    do you need to wear gloves?

You can if you want, personally I don't bother. I only find it an issue when it's really cold or really hot.

Don't worry too much about whats 'acceptable', the important thing is to get out and ride!
  • Schoie81
    Don't worry too much about whats 'acceptable', the important thing is to get out and ride!

Never has a truer word (well, sentance..) been spoken!! :)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Glasses you need, everything else is optional.

I would ride your bike and then consider "upgrades" in order to be more comfortable. For example, if your back side is getting a bit sore, try some bib shorts. If you want to try clipless pedals as you get fitter, then go for it.

You'll soon fathom out where you need to try something better!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Stevie_gee
    Stevie_gee Posts: 44
    I wouldnt leave the house without head, eye and hand protection, everything else is your choice, but a decent pair of bibs will come in handy (commando, obviously ;) )
    you will find as winter approaches, that decent kit is worth spending money on.
  • Schoie81
    Cogsy1976 wrote:
    would prefer to spend the money on other things!

Yeah, you can put the money towards your 'new bike' fund! You'll be needing a third bike soon enough! :wink:

I don't like the idea of clipless pedals, but people tell me of the benefits, and if i'm honest, I know they're right. I don't really have a choice now because it never happened before, but since I started that other thread, my foot has slipped off the pedal three times!! I think one of the posters on here jinxed me!! :wink: I need some new shoes to cycle in anyway - my trainers have seen better days, so figure I may as well give them a go!

As for glasses - I don't wear them, but I think I should! Probably will be my next purchase. Had an insect of some description go straight down my throat the other night, nearly made me sick. If that had hit me in the eye i'd have been in a state!
  • markhewitt1978
    I wouldn't agree glasses are essential. I don't wear them. I've tried it a few times but always given up on it, I don't like glasses as a rule anyway and they make me feel rather 'detached'.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Gel padded gloves for comfort on longer rides and minimising road rash if soemthing bad happens. Sunglasses make you look more sinister, but do reduce eye contact with drivers who may not have seen you. I went 6 months or so before getting spd's and padded shorts. You appreciate the upgrades more when you've been without.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I was in a similar position 9 months ago and just went out and started riding with very basic gear (football shorts and a tshirt with a light jacket none of which were cycling specific)

I learnt very quickly that glasses are a must and i would also say a decent pair of bib shorts. Both my pairs were in the wash last weekend and went out in a normal pair of shorts and i thought the difference was huge in terms of general comfort.

I also went for a set of spd-sl pedals and found them very easy to use and get in and out of. I have had two toppling over moments which hurt my pride more than anything else but other than that they really made a difference and increased my average speed and distance i could ride almost over night.

Other than that i have just added bits as i go
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Cogsy1976
    Yeah, you can put the money towards your 'new bike' fund! You'll be needing a third bike soon enough! :wink:

Funnily enough I am awaiting a payout for some PPI so if all goes well then yes a third bike will be mine :lol: Ive got some padded shorts and glasses already that I used for mountain biking so I think Im just going to give it a go this weekend and see where I go! I did nearly buy a load of stuff on ebay a moment ago but I resisted the 'pay now' button as I think I will wait to see if I do get on ok with the kit I have and if not what I need to do first.

Thanks for all your advice and help I will report back!
  • markhewitt1978
    arenaman wrote:
    I've just started out (week 2) I carry a spare tube, puncture kit, allen key multi tool. I wouldn't be without glasses or a helmet and have a fluorescent jacket and cycling pants. I think I'll upgrade to some SPD pedals and shoes as I've had my foot stuck a couple of times in the clips. The next thing though is a proper track pump (tomorrow), the one I've got the dial doesn't work so I'm unsure of what psi is in the tyres now. Also I'm still not sure about the flat bars, might look at drop or add tri.

If you have flat bars and you want to convert to drops it's not as easy as just buying some new handlebars, as you have to change the shifters and brake levers, and they'll have different cable pulls so you have to change the front and rear derallieurs and maybe the brakes too!
  • Markjaspi
    Markjaspi Posts: 729
    As mentioned above IMO: glasses, helmet, good bib shorts preferable and a saddle bag with a spare inner tube, tyre levers and Co2 canister. My friend not carrying these had a puncture from a pothole last week and if it was not for the fact I had mine he would have been making a call to his Mrs. Tube changed in minutes and back on our way, needless to say he's got them himself now.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • Spare tube, puncture repair stuff, pump, multi tool, maybe a chain splitter. Something to eat for longer rides, water bottle. As for what you wear, whatever's comfortable. I wear padded cycle shorts under jeans, which everyone says must be uncomfortable, but I find fine. On cooler days several thin layers seem to keep you warm better than one or two thick ones.

The only thing I'd say is essential is eye protection. Insects going in your eyes can make a ride miserable. Those tiny little black things, called thunderflies, will be about soon. A year or two ago I was nearing the end of a long ride and there were swarms of greenfly coming off the fields. The air was thick with them. The front of my clothes were coated, they were stuck to my skin, but worst of all I didn't have any glasses so they were constantly going in my eyes. It was horrible.

I never wear a helmet. I find them uncomfortable and anyway the protection they claim to offer is hugely exaggerated.
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    Recently got back into cycling.

Padded shorts / legs. my god the difference between normal clothing on you as is unfathomable in comparison.

Pair of glasses
    decent stiff shoes (Got Specialized Comp road shoe) on Look Keo Classic pedals
    Puncture kit
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • Cogsy1976
    Cheers for all the replys guys, I went out properly on Sunday for 17 or so miles I bought spd pedals and shoes, saddle pack, pump (I already had a lot of the clothing from mountain biking) got to say I really enjoyed it you can cover so much distance compared to a mountain bike! I was only out just over an hour and wasn't pushing it at all.

I also had no probs with clipping and unclipping I spent a good 10 min in the garage clipping and unclipping to get the hang of it I was really nervous about this at first but got to say I love it.

Only downside is my gears were a bit clacky but I just need to adjust them, the bike was bought brand new from Halfrauds and only riden 40 miles or so, so think its just cable strectch etc... its a great bike to start on and I am already looking for an upgrade lol