Western side of Tourmalet - Roads destroyed

Peak Times
Peak Times Posts: 81
edited June 2013 in Tour & expedition
Unfortunately following significant rain and snow melt, large parts of the Pyrenees have suffered major flooding. Two areas that have been devastated by the force of the water/mud/debris are the roads between Lourdes, Luz St Saveur and Bareges. In many cases the roads have completely been destroyed, bridges demolished leaving many villages (including Bareges) being totally cut off. This is likely to be the case for months to come though access from across the Tourmalet is possible.

My home town (Bagneres de Luchon) has also suffered, but not to the extent of other towns and villages in the area. And though there is significant work to do - Luchon will be ready for the Tour in a few weeks time. St Beat (at the foot of the Col du Mente) is in a bad way - but with assistance promised from the region it also should be ready for the Tour.

For anyone planning a trip to include Tourmalet in the near futur I would strongly recommend reconsidering. If anyone has friends or family en-route to the area around Lourdes, Luz or Bareges I would recommend contacting them asap to advise them of the situation.

:(:(:(

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x113dan_lourdes-et-bareges-le-survol-des-degats_news#.UcOCDOdaWSo
www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Holy cow. Due in Luz in 2 weeks time to climb the Tourmalet and a few other cols.. is it still worth my dragging my family over to France? Help :cry:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Terribly sad news - particularly Bareges looks destroyed, and I know there were a couple of deaths. Just awful.

I will be there in September - hopefully things will have been somewhat repaired by then.
  • Mr Dog
    So the Tourmalet is goer from the east. Anyone know about?????
    Col d'Aubisque
    Col du Soulor
    Col d'Aspin
    Luz Ardiden
    Hautacam

If you have any info it would be greatly appreciated :D
  • Peak Times
    Peak Times Posts: 81
    Portillon - Open
    Mente - Open
    Ported d'Aspet - Open
    Port du Bales - Open
    Peyresourde - Open
    Louron-Azet - Open
    Hourquette d'Ancizan - Open
    Aspin - Open
    Tourmalet via La Mongie - Open (gendarmes only allowing workers and residents down to Bareges)
    Soulor - Open
    Aubisque - Open
    Marie-Blanque - Open

Stage 9 of the Tour is secure :-)
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • Mr Dog
    Thanks Peak Times. Have decided to go anyway.. love the place and the people. I'd rather spend my euros there than in some soulless beach resort. :D
    Will climb everything I can.