rim worth replacing?

Sprool
Sprool Posts: 1,022
edited June 2013 in Workshop
After an argument with a kerb at speed my front wheel rim is dented causing wobble and the brake to grab at it quite aggressively. I'm told the dent cant be knocked out, its at the place where the rim join is. The wheels are the standard white Alex rim aeros that come with the Scott S30, 20 black radial spokes. I'm also told these are pretty mediocre wheels; heavy, not that rigid and the hubs are not great. They did fine for my first 1200 miles until my crash.
I'm wondering if its worth getting a new rim fitted, using existing spokes and hub, or just bin the lot? I'm now riding on another pretty cheap but stronger and heavier set of wheels. Fix, bin, upgrade?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Well the hubs used in these wheels will wear out before the rim so given you have done 1200 miles on it already then bin it as you will have to probably replace the spokes due to new spoke lengths being needed as you will be restricted to rims like the velocity areohead, velocity A23, H plus Archetype and a few others. The ERD of the new rim probably won't match your current one but youu might be lucky.

Also more spokes is never a bad idea. 20 spoke front wheels is a race wheel in my book (nothing wrong with that) but a "race wheel" that is heavy is kind of pointless.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,275
    Some dents can be gently pushed back.. depends... if it's flattened, then no, but if it bent inwards or outwards, then yes
    left the forum March 2023
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Thanks guys, bin it is, will carry on with my 32/36 spoke replacement wheels which seem to be a little more robust & forgiving over the local potholes.