What to do with this hardrock

Gibbo3771
Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
edited June 2013 in MTB general
So I cleared out the shed and found my father in-laws Specialized Hardrock 1996, it is still in working order.

I stripped it down to the bare frame, cleaned everything as best as I could, the rear cassette and jockey wheels had SO MUCH mud and grass in them they struggled to freewheel without weight on them lol.

What can I do with this bike? It is full rigid, the frame is fairly scratched, the stem/handlebars are scratched/scraped to hell tbh. The wheels seem a bit funny, they move left and right by around 1/2mm despite being tight and the rear brake has no pad left on it lol.

Safe to say, he has used it quite a bit!

After cleaning it up I took it a little ride around the block and it feels pretty good considering it's age :D.

What am I best to do with this? On a budget? I want to keep it rigid which obviously make it cheaper as well.

I was thinking getting a rigid fork that supports disc brakes, I have old mechanic ones off my Carrera and replacing both wheels + cassette + front drive for all single speed.

Is this frame worth putting a little money into? Think it can do trails/offroad pretty well given its era?

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Have you tried asking the same question here?

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't bother. Got one lying around - very heavy. I also have an old Rockhopper, the weight difference is dramatic.
    I would just spend as little as possible to get it moving.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    cooldad wrote:
    I wouldn't bother. Got one lying around - very heavy. I also have an old Rockhopper, the weight difference is dramatic.
    I would just spend as little as possible to get it moving.

See the weight was my main concern, that's why I was going to keep it rigid + get it single gear, try and make it light as possible without spending a ton of money.

I mainly want it to look nice and run well, the frame and that can all be spray painted without spending a lot of money.

Is it really not worth putting say £100 into it, new forks, wheels and single speed? Surely that would cover it if it was all entry level gear?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't know, my Rockhopper cost me a tenner all in, and the Hardrock was in a skip.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Whack some new pads on it, clean it and lube it, stick some semi slicks on it and use it as a commute bike, you can make it single speed quite easily by not changing gear ;)

unless you really want to make a good retro project out of it, just get it running as cheap as possible
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have 2 1997 bikes, the worse condition farme is my hack/pub/grocery shopping bike, the better I have kept as a retro MTB, only mod is decent tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Kill it, kill it with fire!

In all seriousness though, just clean it up a bit, get some new pads, re-do the wheel bearings. Assuming the gears work ok, leave it as is, and as suggested above use it as a pub hack / communter.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    In all seriousness though, just clean it up a bit, get some new pads, re-do the wheel bearings. Assuming the gears work ok, leave it as is, and as suggested above use it as a pub hack / communter.

This.

You'll spend a silly amount of money if you're not careful, and it'll still be crap.