Abergavenny Festival of Cycling

Pross
Pross Posts: 43,171
edited July 2013 in Pro race
Starts on 9 July, not entirely a pro race thing but there is a round of the Elite Circuit Series and the return of the Grand Prix of Wales which will have the top home based teams riding. Also some tickets left for An Evening With Shane Sutton And Friends. Add to that a film night, handicap road race, closed road hill climb, youth circuit races and a sportive and it could be worth a visit to the town for a few days.

http://www.abergavennyfestivalofcycling.co.uk/

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Pross wrote:
    Starts on 9 July, not entirely a pro race thing but there is a round of the Elite Circuit Series and the return of the Grand Prix of Wales which will have the top home based teams riding. Also some tickets left for An Evening With Shane Sutton And Friends. Add to that a film night, handicap road race, closed road hill climb, youth circuit races and a sportive and it could be worth a visit to the town for a few days.

http://www.abergavennyfestivalofcycling.co.uk/

Brilliant, cheers for that. I will tie it in with a walk up the Sugar Loaf.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I'll be at the SS do. :wink:
    Highlight for me will be the hill climb, past Casa Becky's.
    Due at the start: Returning British Lions, George North (who else?)
    and captain, Sam Warburton.
    I wonder how fast 110kg bike riders go uphill? :lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Might do the hill climb, I was due to do it last year when it was our club champs but having ridden what I thought was the course (it was actually the bit below the course!) that morning I was struggling. Should be a good fun event though. I'm also organising the handicap.
  • Pross
    Just a shameless plug for this again. Starts tomorrow with a handicap road race that features a few elite riders. I'm hoping to ride the hill climb on Wednesday so may see Blazing Saddles - not sure if we can guarantee returning Lions heroes though as I believe Becky is off racing in Portugal. Friday and Sunday are the big events with most of the top UK teams being represented in both races plus the Para Grand Prix of Wales, don't know if Pokerface is riding in that?
  • blazing_saddles
    A tragic end to last night's event.
    A rider was killed during the sprint finish.
    Several ended up in the open road lane.
    Hit by a white van travelling in the opposite direction.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    That`s terrible news. Really sorry to hear that.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Very sad.

Second amateur road race death this year I think, not including TTs
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Not a fatality - rider is in hospital in a critical condition at the moment according to a police press release.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • blazing_saddles
    msmancunia wrote:
    Not a fatality - rider is in hospital in a critical condition at the moment according to a police press release.

I can't say any more at this time.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    From twitter:

Cardiff Ajax CC ‏@CardiffAjaxCC 3m
    It is with great sadness that we have to report that one of our members, Ben Carroll, passed away following a crash in a road race yesterday

Very sad news RIP