Kingston Southampton (Rotrax) build advice

G-Wiz
G-Wiz Posts: 261
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Just laid my hands on a Kingston of Southampton frame for a project build and am looking for some advice on what parts to look for to build it up.

The original idea was a bike that would be as close to my summer build as possible but lower spec as a winter build. I run SRAM red on the posh bike so I was thinking of something like Apex

That idea went out the window when I realised the cost of a new frame, and also when I found this one in the local second hand shop and just fell for it.

So, a few bits I've discovered so far

61cm Reynolds 531 frame & fork (no headset, BB or anything else.
It's been rewelded round the BB and not very clean - this isn't going to be worth some sort of vintage original restoration type build, I just want the most hassle-free winter bike I can that can cope with the steepest of Surrey's hills.

120mm wheel spacing, with horizontal, forward-facing dropouts, adjuster screws are intact.

1inch head tube, I'm probably going to put an Ahead adaptor in and use some bars & stem I already have.

BB 'm not sure about, I managed to screw in a Truatix GPX bottom bracket - same as my posh one - on one side only. I think there's a lot of crap in the threads needs cleaning out first, but also I'm not sure the spacing is the same. Guy in the shop had a play with an Ultegra chainset and similar BB and told me he thought a 68mm BB would be right.

27.2mm seat tube, it's a classic horizontal top tube design and quite big so doesn't need anything too long.

Needs front derailleur clamp and clamp-on cable stops (I'd rather not be using downtube shifters)

Basically I want to build up a shopping list and get it on the road before the weather turns crappy again.

Wheels and what sized cassette I can fit are most important, after that everything else should fall into place.

Ideas and / or advice gratefully received. I'll add some photos in the morning.