Creaking BB30

Shaun67
Shaun67 Posts: 219
edited June 2013 in Workshop
My Cannondale has over the past couple of days developed a creaking noise/ knock from the left hand side
of the bottom bracket, it only knocks once on the down peddle and if I apply more pressure it gets louder.

I've striped the crank of cleaned it all (though it wasn't dirty at all) and re-greased all the parts, the left hand bearing
was a little dry but nothing too bad but I'm still hearing it, what can I do next ? Surely I don't need to buy new bearings do I ? The bike was new at the end of January and has covered no more than 1000 miles.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Comments

• nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    The creaking is most likely the bearing itself turning in the BB shell. This is an inherant problem with BB30 so don't worry too much but it is VERY annoying. I solved the problem by installing the bearings dry instead of greasing the shell. Others add a small amount of loctite to the edges of the bearing before fitting.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    If you go the Loctite route, here's the type you'll need and instructions:

http://bbright.net/BBrightTM-Press-Fit-Instructions.pdf
  • LankyDJ
    LankyDJ Posts: 44
    Thanks guys, I too have developed this problem over the last couple of rides and It does become very annoying. Only seems to happen when you're out of the saddle and banging the power down.

Ta for the solution!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Shaun67 wrote:
    My Cannondale has over the past couple of days developed a creaking noise/ knock from the left hand side.
    Any advice would be greatly received.

How about using the search function - this topic comes up regularly.

Basically BB30 is Sh1t (well the way it is often executed by manufactureres is).

Get an adaptor and junk the BB30 or resign to regular stripping and greasing for the rest of your life.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Shaun67
    Shaun67 Posts: 219
    Thanks for the advice, I assume that I would need some kind of tool to remove & re-install the
    bearing ? Smidsy, what adaptor would you suggest I buy if I did change from a BB30 ?

Thank you.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    You can fit wheels manufacture delrin adaptors that fit inside the original bearings or remove bearings and fit a press fit fsa sleeve (semi permanant, difficult to remove and you ll need a sep shimano BB ), a kcnc or pracxis adaptor(there r others) - all these options mean you will need to buy a new hollow tech 2 shimano style crankset.
    Look on the varios websites to how you fit them.

pm me as i have some almost new WM delrin adaptors sitting on my shelf from my gf's caad10, now sold - they worked very well - she now has a Dolan with a fsa press fit which also is faultless.