Ragley Piglet Build (Shopping list inside)

CrouchingPig
CrouchingPig Posts: 112
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey all, considering building a fairly sorted hardtail around a Ragley Piglet for light trail use / XC.
Attached below is the shopping list, tell me if you can spot any errors, or if there's a better component I could use that is cheaper / of similar price.

One thing that Im not so sure of is these Fox TALAS forks say they have two settings 120mm & 150mm, however, the headset needed (Nukeproof) says that it has external cups, and the frame states id need internal cups to run 150mm travel. Can someone shed light on this matter?

2m34ajn.jpg

dy6ids.jpg

3088kuw.jpg

Or am I mad and I should just buy an On One 456 Carbon full build / 456 Ti and be done with it?
Norco Sight C7.2
Giant Defy 1 Disc

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    edited June 2013
    The bit about headsets for the frame is just to keep the geometry straight (internal bottom cup effectively shortens the axle-to-crown measurement). It won't make much difference with a Fox fork as they are roughly 10mm shorter than the equivalent RS forks anyway.

You missed 15mm hub adapters off the list (Hope on Flow comes with 20mm as standard), and the tyres you picked are rubbish (never buy a Conti tyre without Black Chili rubber).

Also, might be worth checking Wiggle; they had pairs of Hope on Flow for £250 the other day.

Edit: the stem is wrong too. You need one for 1.5, which makes your options limited and generally expensive.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think consider the full build. A quick look - the forks say 15mm but you have a pair of QR skewers. You might want some brake rotors as well
    Have you totalled it up? Roughly that's a £1500 plus build - so I'd be looking for a whole bike or shopping around for bits.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CrouchingPig
    CrouchingPig Posts: 112
    Thanks for responses so far,
    cheers for heads up on wheels, tyres and stem.
    The skewer is just a rear, as assumed forks came with the 15mm QR.

You're right the build is in the region of £1,700. An awful lot of money, just weighing up my options really on what bike to build or buy!
    Norco Sight C7.2
    Giant Defy 1 Disc
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    You could save some money and get a full 2x10 slx groupset. It is currently on Merlin for 340 quid including brakes. The slx stuff looks good, performs well and is cheaper than xt. I did also notice that you haven't got brake rotors on your list.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Unless you already have some of the larger stuff or get the components at a really good price, it's usually better value to buy complete bikes. Ragley used to do complete Piglets, not sure now. I'd check with them first.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Ragley Marley is a Piglet frame and complete for £1249
    http://www.ragleybikes.com/marley-black-bike

SRAM X7 and Sektors
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thelonegroover
    The Ragley Marley is a Piglet frame and complete for £1249
    http://www.ragleybikes.com/marley-black-bike

SRAM X7 and Sektors

I think the Marley is Alu and Piglet is steel.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It is....very misleading as the link to it says it's a piglet frame, then the blurb says it;s just the geo!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thelonegroover
    As the frames are the same price, I'd be tempted to ask Ragley if they could swap the Marley for a Piglet frame.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20