100 mile (ish) sportive

AllanES
AllanES Posts: 151
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
I was hoping to complete my first 100 miler next month by entering a sportive event with one of the routes listed as 100 miles.
I've just downloaded the GPX file into Garmin Connect and it comes out at 98.79 miles! Aaaaaargh!
It'll be so frustrating if after riding for hours & hours .........and hours (I'm slow & steady).......I come up short of my goal by 1.21 miles!
:(
Should I add on a wee extra loop of my own? Or hope the GPX file isn't totally accurate?
:)
Red Triban 3
Giant Defy 1

Comments

• marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Plan the wee extra loop in advance (or even do it as a warm up before the start).

I find it incredibly hard to add anything on at the end (I did a 99.1k cycle today, just couldn't face adding the extra 900 metres!)

Good luck
  • Take all the left handers on the wrong side of the road.
  • AllanES
    marylogic wrote:
    Plan the wee extra loop in advance (or even do it as a warm up before the start).

I find it incredibly hard to add anything on at the end (I did a 99.1k cycle today, just couldn't face adding the extra 900 metres!)

Good luck

You're right! I'm sure with the end in sight I'll just forget the 100mile idea and head for the finish. :)
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • AllanES
    Take all the left handers on the wrong side of the road.

Hmmm I either finish......or get knocked down in the process.
    :)
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Park a mile away and cycle to the start. Start recording when you leave the car.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Park a mile away and cycle to the start. Start recording when you leave the car.

Better still, start recording when you get in the car, should pick up a few KOM's