Loch Katrine / Aberfoyle

bill_gates
bill_gates Posts: 469
edited June 2013 in Road general
I'm planning a few days in this area for a short break and looking for some suggested routes around 25-40 miles. Not too many hills as Mrs Gates isn't a fan of anything too steep or prolonged.

I'm also not sure whether its possible to get around the loch on a road-bike. Can anyone advise if I should bring the hybrid or road-bike?

Thanks

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    the road on the north bank is tarmac and it is a private road so very little traffic, goes all along the loch side

if you were doing it as part of a loop (which takes in Loch Arklet, Chon and Ard) that is about 30 miles. The loop takes in the Dukes Pass which is quite a big hill - going north it is hairpins, really nice climb but quite difficult if going south it is longer and more gradual with some flat sections too.
  • Badrod
    Badrod Posts: 17
    http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Aberf ... te-22.html

Nice route, and if you can't be arsed, the 12.9 miler round loch katrine, a stop at the cafe at Stonachlacher, and the boat back (which takes bikes) is an alternative. (http://www.katrinewheelz.co.uk/ click on cycle route for this route)
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    If you head up the north road from the car park, watch out for the downhill just about five miles up. It's very steep with a sudden hairpin and a bridge at the bottom. If you build up too much speed your brakes won't stop you and it claims many victims.
  • bill_gates
    Is the duke's pass manageable for someone not too keen on hilly terrain?

• bill57
    Difficult question to answer. Assuming she is on a triple (?), stick it in a granny gear and just wind slowly up it. It's not particularly long or steep (~2.4 mile climb either side) but it's definitely a hill. But if you end up walking, the scenery will be worth it.
  • ptlk66
    ptlk66 Posts: 52
    Loch Katrine - a lovely route - if it wasn't for the midges - if you are contemplating doing it over the next few months do it at your peril!!!
  • bill_gates
    I'll cycle during the day rather than evening but got some Jungle Formula Max packed just incase. :-)

• bill_gates
    Badrod wrote:
    http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Aberfoyle_to_Loch_Katrine-Cycle-Route-22.html

Nice route, and if you can't be arsed, the 12.9 miler round loch katrine, a stop at the cafe at Stonachlacher, and the boat back (which takes bikes) is an alternative. (http://www.katrinewheelz.co.uk/ click on cycle route for this route)

I've just had a look at this route to see if I can get the GPX onto my Garmin but some of this looks to be off-road or is that just how the mapping shows it?

If it is a road-bike route rathe than mountain bike, etc What is the best way to get the data into my Garmin?

• bill57
    It's all tarmac road. It may be because the road from Katrine car park to Stronachlachar only has vehicular access for residents and the Post Office van that it shows that way. The road down from Stronachlachar to Aberfoyle has some crumbly bits (potholes) but it's still tarmac.
    Can't help any more with the Garmin I'm afraid.
  • bill_gates
    I managed to get the route onto the garmin. I'm going to give this a try mid-week and will have plenty of time and plenty of energy bars if needed. :-)

It is on the little private road we are staying and I've heard that part is almost unblemished Tarmac which I'm looking forward to.

• bill_gates
    I done this route today, it was really enjoyable and we got a good day for it. Duke's Pass was difficult especially form the south attack but got over it and the reward of the descent was mega although there was once or twice I locked the back wheel and almost ended up in a hedge or barriers.

Mrs Gates grumped a bit but that is expected, even with a triple she would still not have managed but we had a break in Aberfoyle before the ascent which broke up the route a bit.

I've still got a few days in the area, any other routes folk can recommend? I've got the car and roof carriers so would travel a short distance to get a nice 30ish mile loop.

• dodger421
    dodger421 Posts: 39
    The Crow Road and Tak Ma Doon loop done clockwise from Lennoxtown or Kilsyth is a good loop, or the other way round if you're feeling adventurous.

If you ignore the start in Glasgow this Strava link has an anticlockwise loop that starts/stops in the carpark of a nice little cafe just outside Lennoxtown.

http://app.strava.com/activities/60271840