What bike, £500ish, long travel, strong & cyclescheme!

Stebo1111
Stebo1111 Posts: 8
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Long time lurker, recently registered as I'm fresh out of ideas and need some help! I have read the stickies and searched through the forum, so this isn't just another "what do-it-all £500 bike should I buy"! :D

My brother is looking for a new bike and has asked for my advice. He has the following criteria:

- Bought through cyclescheme.co.uk, which rules out Halfords (voodoo hoodoo would have been a great shout otherwise), but most other brands can be found at a cyclescheme shop and price-matched

- He has a budget of about £500-£600

- Bike will mostly be used for trail riding and relatively light downhill / black trail routes. Weight isn't a massive issue but it will be riden up-hill so no absolute tanks. (Appreciate that a strong bike in this price range won't be feather-weight.)

- Something with 120mm+ travel (lockout would be nice) and hydraulic brakes. Would settle with a 100mm fork if it was decent, or the bike was good value.

- More than happy to take a 2011/12 bike to get it a bit cheaper

He'd more or less decided to go with a rockrider 8.1 because of how good value it is, but I don't think the good value outweighs the fact that the rr 8.1 isn't really designed for hard-hitting rides. Looking at it in the flesh the likes of brake levers, bar, saddle, etc look like they'd all need changed sooner rather than later and the geometry isn't geared for jumping, downhill, etc.

Is there anything else out there at the minute that's a bit more heavy duty than the rockrider but equally good value?? I'd pretty much persuaded him to push the boat out and go for this... http://realcycles.com/m1b0s2p4626/GENES ... 2013%29%0A
...but with the cyclescheme they add another 11% back onto the price as an admin fee which pushes it too high for him.

Any suggestions at all would be great. The only other alternative I could come up with is this .. http://realcycles.com/m1b0s2p4698/SARAC ... 2013%29%0A ..has anybody and opinion on that??

Comments