First Century Tomorrow

canny_lad
canny_lad Posts: 329
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Time finally for my first 100 miles tomorrow. Wolverhampton - Aberdovey charity ride then a night on the p!ss in Aberystwyth. Really looking forward to it but not relishing getting up at 5 for the 6.30 start :shock:

Going to see the eldest off to her school prom in a bit then time to get all the gear ready. Will post the ride up at the weekend.

Comments

• Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    Best of luck tomorrow lad. Hope it goes well for ya
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Good luck matey,thats an epic task ahead.Looking forward to the strava report.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Cool.

Pace yourself, eat and drink as necessary for you, and I am sure it will be fine.

I have this to look forward to on Sunday (not your route obviously).

All the best.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Good luck to both of you. I was glad to get mine done this week... I feel like it's something I don't need to worry about now.
    Just think about your pacing and I'm sure all will go well.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    yep best of luck mate and hopefully the weather stays good,and not like the sponsored cycle I did a month ago....rain pelted straight down for the whole of it,and wouldn't you believe it dried up and sun came out 1 mile from the end.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    It's downhill from Wolves to Aberdovey, should be easy ;-)

Good luck, always nice to tick off a milestone.
    Shame it's not the other way around though as you don't get to finish at the mighty Molineux Stadium........
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Riding west into a moderate head wind :shock: good luck! What time are you hoping for?
  • canny_lad
    Thanks for the kind words lads. I've heard that it's pretty much downhill from Newtown with a couple of little climbs in the last 10 miles.

Giz - apparently the group I'm riding with do it in around 8 hrs total, so we're not gonna break any records. I'm not too bad at climbing so am hoping to turn around and help the slower lads up the worst bits (if my legs are up to it of course) :)
  • jimmas
    jimmas Posts: 50
    Good luck mate
  • canny_lad
    Sorted :D Had to do a lap of the car park at the end as it was 98.91 miles to the finish line! The weather was ideal apart from the constant westerly, which made it interesting at times.

Great day out, but kept in check by the idiot lorry driver in Newtown who cut straight across in front of 2 of the riders and hospitalised them. If you're on here lads, get well soon.

https://www.strava.com/activities/62152373
  • Graeme Jones
    Graeme Jones Posts: 361
    I did my first century yesterday. Strava said 100.1 but once saved went to 99.6! Lol
    http://app.strava.com/activities/62100608

We had brutal headwinds but working very hard to hit a 16.4mph average! In that wind it was tough and felt empty at 70miles!

My fault for going out with two riders that are experienced in doing centuries.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    well done canny lad and Graeme jones on your centuries.epic rides.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
  • engy
    engy Posts: 131
    I did the 120 mile route through Dinas. not really been cycling long... Thought I was going to explode... I would of walked but I was that tired I couldn't get my feet out of the pedals and hung on to the barrier in stead, but made it up in the end.
  • smidsy
    I did it 102.7 miles.

The wind and rain were really welcome as it would have been far too easy otherswise.... not! :twisted:

Still it is done and I can move on. :)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    Good work! I'm doing my first in September, and in preparation am planning on an 80 miler this saturday coming...
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • canny_lad
    Well done Graeme, that's an excellent average.

Smidsy - congratulations. Did you do the Great Notts ride as my mate did it yesterday and clocked within 0.1 miles of you :)

engy - respect, Dinas looks like a f00kin mare. Thinking I should give it a crack next year but man it looks bad :shock:
  • smidsy
    Yes indeed I did.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Did my first century today and first Sportive. Feel like a proper cyclist now, I learned so much about group riding and managing speed and cadence today. Not to mention how far and how fast I can go if I really try. Now I have got to get my weight down and my climbing speed up.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.