Started commuting this week. Need a bombproof tyre.

2»

Comments

• samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I run M+ and over the last 18 months have had 2 punctures. Once I just caught the train home and the other happened overnight. Despite running at around 100psi mine have worn quite a bit.

My terrain is similar to yours cycle path and poor road surface.
  • cristoff
    cristoff Posts: 229
    Hi,

1. No such thing as a bombproof tyre.

2. IMO, ones that offer higher puncture puncture resistant give a poor ride and are a pig to change.

3. I would much rather have a grippy light tyre, that is easy to change - learn how to quickly swap inner tubes and when it happens its a 5 minute job.

He is right on point 2, the nearest thing to bombproof in my experience is the Bontrager Hardcase, mine are lined up to do there 3rd winter without a sniff of a puncture, but look closely, there are slices all over them!

Added benefit is that it is like riding in treacle so when you get your summer lightweights back on, its like someone has taken off the handbrake :-)

And they are a fraction of the cost of the some aforementioned big hitters!

Oh, and swapping tubes is all well and good till you have to in the dark at 4.30am! Or in the dark and hammering down with rain :(
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Bustacapp wrote:

you need to decide whats most important to you. Want the least ever chance of a puncture? Then you need a real heavy duty tyre like the marathon plus (other, similar ones out there too). Else if you want lightness/less rolling resistance and so on then you have to accept that you will get a puncture at some point, and get over it. Yes it's a pain but 15 minutes later (if you take your time) and it's done.

Almost every tyre will puncture at some point if used enough on bad roads. And dont place too much emphasis on how many punctures people claim to have not had with a certain make and model of tyre - there must be plenty of people out there who have never punctured with a cheap as chips £10 tyre with the protection of a peice of paper mache...only thing is they ride on perfect roads in the dry for around 100 foot before packing up and going home ;)

The point is without people specifiying exactly how many miles on exactly what type of roads and the conditions of the roads and the type of crap they have run over (glass, flints, etc or none of these) then how do you know if their tyre will be suitable for you? Even if you ride the exact same route at the exact same time one of you may puncture and the other will not.

So basically...practice taking tyres off and on so you have the knack when you really need it...and choose at random one of the suggestions on this and one of the other hundred threads on the same topic. I currently run Vredstein Fortezza Tricomp on my commuter for the summer - 25mm come in at 240g (225g for the 23mm) and they roll real well plus have decent all weather grip and good puncture protection. Come winter and I'll put the heavier tyres back on (more likely to puncture in bad weather apparently...and more hassle). But next time I might try the 4 seasons as they seem to be highly regarded...so up to you ;)

Amen brother! The bit that bothers me is rear punctures. I get all confused and get the wheel stuck/covered in oil when trying to get it back in. :)

I think though that the 4 seasons or gatorskin hardshells will be on the cards.

Marathon plus are a swine to take off and put on. I've just had to vent (on here) after finding my rear has deflated after 10-days holiday. The problem is that a patch on my innertube has finally come unstuck after 5000-miles, so I can't complain too much. This was a repair on a puncture due to a thin long bit of wire that went straight through the sidewall and guard. That seems to be my rate - about once a year/5000-miles.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    best tyre I have ever used, thousands and thousands of miles covered on them!

puncture free?

yep, only had 1 this year, although i'm sure to have jinxed that now!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes