Dartmoor Classic 2013

BBC Weather forecast for Bovey Tracey, for the Dartmoor classic, the highlight of the Summer:

Feeling cool with strong to gale force winds and rain or showers, perhaps heavy and persistent at times. Winds ease through Monday, becoming drier and brighter with isolated showers.

Can't wait.
“I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle.”

http://mendiprouleur.blogspot.com/

Comments

• AlahDamIt
    AlahDamIt Posts: 44
    Ah normal for down here then, can't wait.
    Bianchi infinito 2012
    Specialized Secteur
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    Yep, once you've got past the tough hills from Holne Bridge to Hexworthy, you'll get on to the main road on the open moors and be faced with that lovely headwind and possible rain all the way to the turning for Princetown (just like last year). The first feed station will be much needed, but you'll have got the toughest section out of the way, after that - downhill all the way!?! Enjoy!
  • mustol wrote:
    Yep, once you've got past the tough hills from Holne Bridge to Hexworthy, you'll get on to the main road on the open moors and be faced with that lovely headwind and possible rain all the way to the turning for Princetown (just like last year). The first feed station will be much needed, but you'll have got the toughest section out of the way, after that - downhill all the way!?! Enjoy!
    You're right but i think the wind looks stronger that what we had last year and there'll be no relief from the wind until the last leg after Doccombe. The forecast wind direction is NNW which means the Princetown to Moretonhampstead leg will have the wind on your left side which is almost worse than head on as you can't easily tuck in behind anyone :(

What sort of times are people hoping for? I'm hoping to come in around 4:10 (65 mile), I rode the route a few weeks ago in 4:38 with a 30min cafe stop, but conditions were perfect and I've had ten days off the bike due to illness.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    mustol wrote:

Maybe for the 100km route but the 100miler has a lot more to come.
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    Mamba80, really - I genuinely thought that the rest of the 100 mile ride was downhill. Don't think I'll bother turning up now you've said that. :wink:
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Quick weather update for you Hardy souls coming down for this, it's not stopped raining today and tomorrow doesn't look too great either. Windy up on the moor too!
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • What a hard day that was! I only did the 68 mile route but that was hard enough. The weather was atrocious and a few riders got into bother, some in accidents and some through the cold - Princetown first aid used a lot of those silver blankets.

All said though it was still a cracking sportif - well organised and plenty of food supplies!! Thanks to the organisers for keeping peoples spirits up and I will give it another go next year.
  • bigbenj10
    bigbenj10 Posts: 13
    A very hard day! We did the 107 mile route and it was certainly a challenge. Cold, wet and windy, but thankfully plenty of hills to keep you warm! Silver blankets and tea were very welcome during our second stop at Princetown when we were waiting the best part of an hour for a bike fix.

Big thanks to the organisers and all the marshals. Pretty much every single one of them was giving shouts of encouragement which helped keep us going. See you all next year!
  • Toby_W
    Toby_W Posts: 217
    Well, slow time, wet weather, mechanical and I had the best day out riding 107 miles in a long time. First time I've done this one and their organisation was superb. Easy parking in the morning and when it all snarled up with people leaving they reacted quickly and started marshalling cars onto the roundabout. Loved the food at the feedstation, green pie and orange pie, num num num.

I was in a badtri top and had a bit of a mechanical coming back from Princetown and I was blown away by the number of people who paused to offer anything I needed in terms of help. Considering the conditions I think you deserve great credit for this and it certainly got my respect.

Cheers

Toby
    Dancing on the pedals
  • Yes a great ride considering the conditions. I did the 68 mile route and despite being buffeted left right and center by the wind and rain thoroughly enjoyed it and managed to get my bronze medal having narrowly missed out last year.

Echo the praise for the feed stop and marshals, they were all v encouraging. Other riders fantastic. Had a couple of issues with loose cleats (they didnt know this) but offers of help were coming in from riders going past.

will deffo be going back for 3rd go next year, maybe with more hard work a silver may be on the card!?!
  • garethp73
    garethp73 Posts: 18
    Toby_W wrote:
    ....... Easy parking in the morning and when it all snarled up with people leaving they reacted quickly and started marshalling cars onto the roundabout.

Cheers

Toby

Err, no they didn't. I don't know what time you tried to leave, but I started queuing just before 3.15, and didn't get out till just gone 5.00. That said, once the marshals appeared and somebody came round to apologise, I was out within 20 minutes, which unfortunately was the only downer of the day.

Missed out on a silver by 36 seconds though which I blame on the fantastic food as I just had to have one more piece of flapjack!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road
    Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc
    Boardman Race Road
    Boardman Team CX
    Specialized MTB
  • Toby_W
    Toby_W Posts: 217
    Sorry to hear that, I guess I left at 3:30 and was out by 4:30 so similar but better luck with where I parked. I was just impressed as you mention that when they realised what a mess it was they did something about it and came round to apologise and explain.
    I agree regarding the flap jack, they should cut it into smaller bits, I nearly suffocated trying to eat a bit of that and the flan to quickly ;-)
    Cheers
    Toby
    Dancing on the pedals
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    My Darling Mother did this yesterday (55yrs old, cycling for a year) and scored a bronze. I'm rather proud of her...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver