Noisy Look Keo Blades

BeaconJon
BeaconJon Posts: 294
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Hi all,

I've had a pair of keo blades on my best bike and now moved onto my TT bike for about a year. They've been as good as gold until recently when they've started making the most terrible creaking noises. I can almost feel it through my shoes as it were as I can detect small movements of my feet coinciding with the noises.

My ride in last nights TT must have scared a few people as a clicked and creaked my way around the course.

Any ideas for getting rid of the noise?

Ps bearings are fine with only the if great amount of play.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's down to the cleats wearing, particularly at the front as they can then move up and down in the pedal. Have you tried new cleats? Spraying WD40/GT85 on the pedal engagement points can help - but only temporarily
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Chrisrebbeck
    Chrisrebbeck Posts: 133
    I got keo blades last year on my nice bike and last month after about 1000miles (if this matters) they started to squeak really really annoyingly. I bought new cleats (the previous were very worn) but this didnt sort it either! So on looking on forums I found its quite a common issue with keos and was advised to clean/lube. Thats what I did, especially around the contact area (metal plate) on the pedal, just used a bit of finishline wet lube and cloth and it worked a treat. The float felt a bit slippery (grey cleats) but there was no risk of me unclipping, infact the whole pedal felt better. 250miles noise free so far. If it is an internal creaking then this obviously wont sort it but is worth a go as often its so hard to locate the exact origin of bike noises!!!
  • BeaconJon
    Cheers chaps. The cleats are in really good condition as they're on my best shoes for TT's only

I'll try living the contact points on the pedals.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    I've found that the biggest culprit of the Keo 'creak' is the gripper cleat. The older gripper free model which can still be bought easily (and is cheaper) from places like Planet X doesn't creak.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've found that the biggest culprit of the Keo 'creak' is the gripper cleat. The older gripper free model which can still be bought easily (and is cheaper) from places like Planet X doesn't creak.

I just changed over to the non-gripper cleat, since it has a nice delrin looking insert which I reckoned was a better design. Looks like I might be right.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • wheelie-bin
    wheelie-bin Posts: 124
    Mine started doing it last week, degreased and relubed and now they're silent again :mrgreen:
  • BeaconJon
    What areas did you relube?
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Mine creaked like crazy at first too - with the gripper cleats. Binned them and used normal ones, and been fine ever since.

Mine are Keo Blade Carbons and I find if I don't regrease them every month they start to make bearing noise. Fortunately it's very quick and easy to do.
  • wheelie-bin
    wheelie-bin Posts: 124
    BeaconJon wrote:
    What areas did you relube?

Any contact areas or moving parts.