What TL ready tyres for Stans Arch EX 29er rims?

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
I bought a set of Schwalbe Rocket Rons and Racing Ralphs to use on my Stans Arch EX rims 29er rims but it's impossible to mount either tyre. I can't even get the first side on no matter how much soapy water or force with levers I apply. I've since found out that this is a common problem with the Schwalbe tyres and even if you get them on you risk the spoke tension reducing due to the tightness of the tyre on the rim. So the tyres are going back.

Can anyone suggest a good light tyre that fit these rims without having to have King Kong hands to get them mounted? I'm looking for a tyre with similar characteristics to the RoRo or RaRa, i.e. light, fast rolling for riding mostly on hard pack and occasional rocky trails.

I plan to use the tyres with tubes initially and then switch to tubeless.

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    The Arch EX is proper AM rim designed to take some big hits but you want a lightweight XC tyre?

Either way, just get something that's not 'tubeless ready'

2.2" Black Chili Mountain King 2 RaceSport? 640g
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    I put tubeless ready Racing Ralph 2.1 on my Arch Ex 29er rims and all seems to be fine. They were certainly a bit tight to fit at first and fixing the first puncture that wouldn't seal itself out on the trail was a bit of a pain. But I managed with a few nylon tyre levers and a lot of swearing and they seem to be getting easier over time. They went up tubeless with just a track pump. So, I'd say persevere with what you have.
  • hard-rider
    andy_welch wrote:
    I put tubeless ready Racing Ralph 2.1 on my Arch Ex 29er rims and all seems to be fine. They were certainly a bit tight to fit at first and fixing the first puncture that wouldn't seal itself out on the trail was a bit of a pain. But I managed with a few nylon tyre levers and a lot of swearing and they seem to be getting easier over time. They went up tubeless with just a track pump. So, I'd say persevere with what you have.
    Well I can't even get the first bead on. I get to a point where a I have ~20deg arc left but the bead just straight lines across arc from at that point and needs to stretch a good 2-3cm to get over the rim edge. I am afraid of either damaging the tyre bead or hurting the rim. I've read a few cases where the tyres were forced on and as a result the spoke tensions dropped. Perhaps my tyres are at the small end of the tolerance and my rims are at the top end.
    The Arch EX is proper AM rim designed to take some big hits but you want a lightweight XC tyre?

Either way, just get something that's not 'tubeless ready'

2.2" Black Chili Mountain King 2 RaceSport? 640g
    I considered the Crests but was advised they my be too week for my weight and intended riding. I've not had problems with the RoRos on my 26" bike. I'll take a look at the MK you suggest.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    you are getting the bead into the central channel properly?

I had some TL Nobby's on my (26") Arch EX and they were a bit of a pain but they did go on
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    As above, I've had TLR nics and ralphs on my Arch ex (26") for ages now. Actually just fitted some new TLR snakeskin DD Rlaphs to them at the weekend. As stated above, they're a cnut to fit, but once they're on they're fine. Leave them in the back garden for a couple of hours in this heat to soften up a bit, then absolutely smash the fairy liquid to get them on.

Actually, I managed the ralphs this time with just 1 tire lever and nothing else. They went straight up with a track pump too.
  • hard-rider
    Yes, although I must say the central channel is quite shallow. I checked to see if the tape is properly pushed down into the central channel which it is. It seems the Schwalbe tyre are pretty marginal on whether they fit on the Stans rims as there are a lot of posts on the web about people having problems with them.
  • andy_welch
    Yes, it was very tough at first. Sounds very similar to what you describe. But I made sure the bead was in the central channel and forced it on with some plastic tyre levers. It was still a fight trying to hold one side down while I levered the other on. However, the last time I took the tyre off (yesterday as it happens) I was able to pop it back on with just my hands quite easily. So, they do stretch and I've only had them for a few weeks.
  • hard-rider
    OK, I'll have another go. I've watched quite a few youtube videos and saw a few different techniques which I'll try. Hopefully I get them on.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Bit of a long shot but they aren't from superstar are they? If they are you're using their rims strips that'll be why you're having problems as its just impossible to mount tyres when using that rim strip. I've mounted probably 6 or 7 sets of schwalbe tyres, various Nobby Nics, muddy Mary's and Hans Dampfs and although tight I've never had to give up on one. They are tight but then that's the point of the rim design to ensure a tight tubeless ready bead.
  • andy_welch
    They do all need to be a bit tight, but in my experience the Racing Ralph on 29er Arch Ex rims was taking tight to a whole new level :) By comparison, 26" Nobby Nics on Flow Ex rims were a piece of cake. But, as I said, it was possible to make he 29er Ralph Arch Ex combo work, it was just hard work.
  • hard-rider
    OK guys I finally managed to get the tyres on after some choice cursing. I aired them up without sealant just to seat them and see how many leaks I have for interest sake. The RoRo only leaks slightly around the valve stem but the RaRa not only leaks around the valve stem but also along the joint where the tread meets the side wall. There is a row of tiny pin holes spaced every couple of centimetres where air is blowing out.

I'll put some sealant in this evening to seal it up for the weekend.
  • andy_welch
    Well done, it should get easier now :D I ran mine with a tube for a few rides, just to give it a bit more time to stretch, but after that it was fine.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I ve just tried ot for the first time with some old Maxxis tyres. The (26in) Ardent on the front went up with some CO2, cursing and general horribleness but I could nt get the CrossMax on the rear up at all until I noticed the massive split in the sidewall (that ll be why i took that tyre off ages ago then).

I got a Racing Ralph for the rear from the LBS (Schwalbe is pretty much your only option in Holland) and it was a but of a bugger to fit (but doable) and went up first time easily (I was SO annoyed!!!)

I can't imagine the 29 tyres are that different?!? I got a Nobby Nic for the front but have nt got the heart to take off the Ardent I spent so long putting on to see if it was just blind luck with the RaRa

Have to say I
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver