Banged to rights.

simonhead
simonhead Posts: 1,399
edited June 2013 in The cake stop
Over the last few weeks there have been a few garages broken into in my area, bikes, mowers etc stolen. About midnight i heard a crunch on our driveway, looked out of the window and there was a van parked there with the engine running. Went to the back bedroom where i can see the garage doors and 2 youths trying to break into my neighbours garage. Woke the Mrs and told her to call the police but not turn the lights on. Grabbed my phone and got a picture of the van, wrote down the number plate and got a picture of one of the scumbags putting my neighbours lawnmower in the back of the van.

Managed to corner them (one was only about 15) with the help of another neighbour until the police turned up, turns out the van had been seen at a few of the breakins but no one had caught the number plate.
Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Good skillz! Nice one :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • simonhead
    I think the fact that i look like a thug (even if i was wearing pyjama trousers) helped. Note I am not actually a thug though.
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    simonhead wrote:
    I think the fact that i look like a thug (even if i was wearing pyjama trousers) helped. Note I am not actually a thug though.

If you had cornered the little scrotes looking like your profile pic that would have really taught them a lesson...
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Good on you.

Without meaning to sound pessimistic, they will probably be given a slap on the wrist. You should try and get Duncan Ferguson to be one of your neighbours. His previous with burglars would be enough to give even the most hardened criminal second thoughts of coming within a a 20-30 mile radius of your area.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • simonhead
    I am pretty sure the junior one will just get a telling off, the van is the same one used in quite a few burglaries though (has a very distinctive yellow door when the rest of it is white) so i am hoping the older one gets nicked. Wondering if the pic I have of the guy taking the lawnmower is admissable as he was on my property at the time.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    As a fellow Epsom resident I can only say 'thanks' for the heads up. Anyone ever asee the old Michael Douglas film called 'The Star Chamber'? I'm starting to think it would be the best solution!!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • simonhead
    Raymondo just keep an eye out for a white ford transit with a yellow drivers door, about 7 years old. All i can say.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    simonhead wrote:
    i heard a crunch on our driveway,

Gravel right? One of the best anti-burglar devices around. Our dog goes nuts if she hears it (she has a range of about 50m!)

Good work fella, the world needs more like you. Maybe you'll get an MBE?
  • simonhead
    simonhead wrote:
    i heard a crunch on our driveway,

Gravel right? One of the best anti-burglar devices around. Our dog goes nuts if she hears it (she has a range of about 50m!)

Good work fella, the world needs more like you. Maybe you'll get an MBE?

Absolutely, hate the stuff but its the reason i put it down. Better than a security light.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Pah! Needlessly detaining a poor and defenceless youngster and placing them in a state of terror until the police turn up to provide the comforting reassurance that one of so tender years requires. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the accused gets off and then promptly launches a civil case against you, hope you have good lawyer :)
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    simonhead wrote:
    Raymondo just keep an eye out for a white ford transit with a yellow drivers door, about 7 years old. All i can say.

Is that seriously what they were driving? I'm surprised they weren't collared sooner. A white van with a yellow door is hardly inconspicuous.

A prime candidate for an honorary mention in the category of criminal fools on World's Craziest Fools methinks.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    To say nothing of being done for injurious photography likely to cause a breach of the peace... And did the flash damage his eyes by any chance?
  • bernithebiker
    Given the grief I'm getting in Road General, I have to wonder; did you provoke the burglar in any way? I damn well hope not.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Given the grief I'm getting in Road General, I have to wonder; did you provoke the burglar in any way? I damn well hope not.

Just for you Bernie

• bernithebiker
    Ballysmate wrote:

Just for you Bernie

:lol::lol:
  • simonhead
    The kid has been let go, the older one has been charged, the police guy i spoke to this morning said the evidence for the other breakins wasnt strong though, only 1 other person saw the yellow doorand i am the only person to see the people involved. Will see how it goes. I did get a telling of for confronting them though from the mother in law, got the "what if one of them had a knife" line. Unfortunately she now knows some of my slightly murky past as a doorman and pub manager in not so nice places.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Pah! Needlessly detaining a poor and defenceless youngster and placing them in a state of terror until the police turn up to provide the comforting reassurance that one of so tender years requires. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the accused gets off and then promptly launches a civil case against you, hope you have good lawyer :)

Once upon a time this would have been a joke. :?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Once upon a time this would have been a joke. :?
    It still is. A joke that is.

Well done to the OP.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • simonhead
    edited June 2013
    Just waiting to find out if it is likely to go any further. The older one has been charged but will probably get a slap on the wrists. In the meentime re raked the gravel on the drive and added a bit more so its now super crunchy. put an extra bolt on the garage door and invested in a 6 cell maglite that will now be kept by the front door.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    simonhead wrote:
    JNust waiting to find out if it is likely to go any further. The older one has been charged but will probably get a slap on the wrists. In the meentime re raked the gravel on the drive and added a bit more so its now super crunchy. put an extra bolt on the garage door and invested in a 6 cell maglite that will now be kept by the front door.
    Nice, bright and heavy that torch. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've had a 3Dcell for years - fortunately never had to use it..
  • steve6690
    steve6690 Posts: 190
    Well done. Need more people like you.