New bike with a 3k(ish) budget

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hi everyone

I just wanted some advice really on a new bike from people that have done what I am planning to do.

So the story......

I started 6 months ago and am literally hooked. I'm currently riding a Caad8 Tiagra and other than a sometimes creaking BB30 I love it.

Being quite competitive the longer term goal is to start racing (hopefully this time next year) but am planing to start with Joining a club and TT's.

I have got a budget of around 3k and would ideally look to buy a 2013 model when the 2014 models come out to get a bit more for my money.

So what to buy ??

I am really drawn to the Italian bikes so am thinking a bianchi or maybe cinelli. I could pick up a pinarello fp Quattro so would that be an option ? But then with the TT in mind would a felt AR3 be a better option. And then there are Canyons. They look like a great deal of bike for not a lot of money but that makes me nervous and I'm
Not sure about shelling out 3k without testing it first. Or is there something else I should be looking at that I haven't considered? Used cervelo maybe ??

And then there is groupset. At this level I'm looking at ultegra, maybe Di2. But bearing in mind what I'm planning on would a campy set up be worth exploring ? Or do I wait and save and hold out for dura ace?

I have read reviews of tons of bikes but would love to have the opinion who has done the same sort of thing i have.

Thanks in advance
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    If you want a bike to race on, my first question would be do you want to spend £3000 on it? I have a Cannondale SuperSix (which is great - perhaps one for your list) and want to get into racing but don't really want to break the lovely frame in a crash, so I also bought a second-hand CAAD that I can race on - at least to start with until I'm more used to racing. You've got the right idea looking for a 2013 model when the 2014s come out - I did that and saved the best part of £1000, which more than covered the cost of the second-hand CAAD.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    lc1981 wrote:
    If you want a bike to race on, my first question would be do you want to spend £3000 on it? I have a Cannondale SuperSix (which is great - perhaps one for your list) and want to get into racing but don't really want to break the lovely frame in a crash, so I also bought a second-hand CAAD that I can race on - at least to start with until I'm more used to racing. You've got the right idea looking for a 2013 model when the 2014s come out - I did that and saved the best part of £1000, which more than covered the cost of the second-hand CAAD.

You could have just got insurance that covers racing. Would be far cheaper than a second bike and means you could race on your best bike worry free.

In response to the idea of buying an AR3 for TT'ing. It would be good but never as good as even a much lower spec time trial bike. The main factor in a TT is how you fit on the bike and your position for a TT on a road bike will be hard to perfect.

Have you considered spending 2k on a road bike and 1k on a second hand TT bike?
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    Don't spend any money yet! Join a good club asap. Your Cannondale is more than good enough for club riding while you work out exactly what kind of riding most appeals to you, and you will get loads more ideas and information from your club mates and your club riding than from just looking at bikes online. Then when you finally lay down the £3k it will be for kit that actually suits your plans.
  • lc1981
    lawrences wrote:
    You could have just got insurance that covers racing. Would be far cheaper than a second bike and means you could race on your best bike worry free.

I did look into this but it was hard to find insurance that would cover bike damage incurred during races. Can you recommend some?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    ...Canyons. They look like a great deal of bike for not a lot of money but that makes me nervous and I'm Not sure about shelling out 3k without testing it first.
    Don't worry about buying a Canyon without trying it first, they have a 30 day return policy so once you get it you can ride it several times and return it if it's not right for you. Just don't crash it :D
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    lc1981 wrote:
    lawrences wrote:

I did look into this but it was hard to find insurance that would cover bike damage incurred during races. Can you recommend some?

I'm with british cycling as are alot of people on the forum. Costs me £145 a year with a silver membership for a 2k bike. This covers me for all riding including racing and Time trials. Insured for theft aswell but I'll be dammed if I'm going to carry a 5kg lock around so I can claim it when out and about.

This has taken the thread slightly off topic sorry.
  • lc1981
    lawrences wrote:
    lc1981 wrote:
    lawrences wrote:

I'm with british cycling as are alot of people on the forum. Costs me £145 a year with a silver membership for a 2k bike. This covers me for all riding including racing and Time trials. Insured for theft aswell but I'll be dammed if I'm going to carry a 5kg lock around so I can claim it when out and about.

This has taken the thread slightly off topic sorry.

Thanks, and sorry for taking this off topic. I did investigate this option, but it's significantly more expensive where I live, it seems.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Anything that does not have BB30 or other press/push fit type BB's - they are a nightmare.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    You are spoiled for choice at that price really. The only thing I'd be cautious of is 'going Italian' - the only thing Italian about most brands you would associate with the country is that they are assembled there. I know where you are coming from with regards to the image but I'm pretty sure Bianchi and Pinarello do most, if not all, of their manufacturing in the far east - not sure with Cinelli as I think they still do some manufacturing in Italy. Not that the far east manufacturing is a problem as virtually all modern massed produced bikes originate there and they have the expertise but if someone is expecting a Pina or Bianchi to be hand made by Italian artisans they are going to be disappointed. I would echo what someone else said - join a club first and get an idea of what you are wanting to do. This may also open a route to get your hands on a good TT or racing bike at a cheaper price (or even one of each as someone suggested above). You may even be able to persuade a few people to try their bikes to get an idea of what you like.