Afan Forest Park

ollie_lucas1985
ollie_lucas1985 Posts: 325
edited August 2013 in Holidays
Hello All.. It's been a while!

Looking at going to Afan in a couple of weeks during the week (weds/thurs) by myself and have a few questions to anyone else that's been!

Firstly, If I go over the bars, smash my face in and knock myself out.. how long will it be until someone found me? Are there normally people around after work etc?

Secondly, Not the best rider so looking at only doing Whites Level, Y Wal and Penhydd (If its open?) - Are these the least technical trails there and would you recommend doing them? I didn't want to do Skyline or W2 just because they seem to out in the sticks!

Thirdly, Do you have to pay for the car park?

and lastly.. What's the chances of me getting lost? Are the trails clearly signposted?

Thanks

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Hello All.. It's been a while!

Looking at going to Afan in a couple of weeks during the week (weds/thurs) by myself and have a few questions to anyone else that's been!

Firstly, If I go over the bars, smash my face in and knock myself out.. how long will it be until someone found me? Are there normally people around after work etc?

Secondly, Not the best rider so looking at only doing Whites Level, Y Wal and Penhydd (If its open?) - Are these the least technical trails there and would you recommend doing them? I didn't want to do Skyline or W2 just because they seem to out in the sticks!

Thirdly, Do you have to pay for the car park?

and lastly.. What's the chances of me getting lost? Are the trails clearly signposted?

Thanks

trails will have people on them, not so many as it'll be mid week but if it's nice weather they'll be quite a few people out after work I reckon.

penhydd still isn't open. W2 is just the wall and whites level combined, so you'll be doing that anyway if you ride them both. Skyline is an OK trail, but yes, it does take you a long way out into the wilderness.

car park is 3 quid if I remember rightly - I usually park in the free car park down the road :lol:

you won't get lost, trails are really well marked.

one thing to consider is the bike park. as you get near the end of the wall you'll come to a gate with bryn bettws lodges on your right and a road/carpark in front of you. go onto the road and go diagonally left to the bike park bit, good fun for a play about
  • Thanks Welsh Kev, I might check out the bike park if I'm feeling up to it.. I must say though while getting older I've become a right chicken with this kind of thing!..

Can you recommend anywhere to stay in that area? I did look at the lodges but not too keen!

Seen a place called tree tops in Neath that looks like it will do the job, do you know it?

If W2 is a mix of both red trails why is it advertised as a black trail?! I might do that then instead.. Will probably have a go on one or the small ones when I get there and tackle W2 the next day!

Thanks
  • welshkev
    Not sure of places to stay sorry. Afan lodge hotel seems popular.

I think w2 is black purely because of distance. It's just the 2 trails joined by the old railway line and a trail at the top. The July trail is always an option. It's a shortened skyline, not too well publicised but is sign posted
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    You'll only have a days riding at Afan, W2. Could do Skyline but there's diversions so it's not a great trail at the minute. Penhydd is closed as mentioned, although if you know where it is you can ride most of it.
  • m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    Is the bike park clearly signed from the Wall? I havent been to Afan for 3 years or so & have a trip planned next month, wouldnt want to miss it as it looks pretty good from the videos.
    Also I normally ride the wall, then cycle the lower link & ride whites. I have only rode w2 with the high link once & the weather was horrible, so I dont remember much. Do I miss anything by not riding the full w2?
    And also.. we are there for 2 days, wall/whites day one then skyline day2. I have ridden skyline once, and again dont remember much, so am thinking of doing cwm carn on day2 instead on the way home if its all fireroads these days?
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • welshkev
    m_cozzy wrote:
    Is the bike park clearly signed from the Wall? I havent been to Afan for 3 years or so & have a trip planned next month, wouldnt want to miss it as it looks pretty good from the videos.

not really, but it's easy to find. when you come down one of the descents of the wall (I can't remember which one sorry) you come to a gate and a road with bryn bettws lodges pretty much straight in front of you. to carry on the wall you hang a left onto a fireroad type of trail. the bike park bit is over the road, diagonally opposite to the gate. you'll see the signs if you look otherwise you may miss them.