Bike Hire in Annecy

muzzan
muzzan Posts: 203
edited August 2013 in Road general
Hi Folks,

Myself & the good lady are going on holiday to Annecy next month. I fancy getting some riding done :lol:

I dont think it would be worth the hassle, risk & expense of getting my own bike over there as I wont be able to be out on it too much, however I do fancy having a go at at least one of the HC climbs (Semnoz maybe).

So... can anybody recommend a good place for hiring a decent road bike over there. My own bike is a Canyon CF & I dont fancy taking on the toughest climb of my life so far on a bike far inferior to this if at all possible.

Alternatively, are there any organised guided rides people know of in that general area which are good & cater for a fairly average level of rider, I can imagine theres a failry high level of rider over there on holiday, especially as we will be there during the tour!

Thanks for any thoughts :D

Comments

• navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Haven't used any of these but given how popular cycling is there I should imagine they will be pretty good:

http://www.freewheelingfrance.com/bike- ... -in-the-rhône-alpes.html

We did Semnoz last week. It's worth trying to go up one side and down the other - we climbed up the west side and down the east.
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    Navrig wrote:
    Haven't used any of these but given how popular cycling is there I should imagine they will be pretty good:

We did Semnoz last week. It's worth trying to go up one side and down the other - we climbed up the west side and down the east.

Thanks for that, a couple of possibilities there. Not cheap right enough, but I suppose thats to be expected.

Would probably tackle Semnoz from Annecy, I see the climb from there is about 10mi @ 7% or so ave :shock:

Certainly a good bit tougher than anything I've done up here (crow rd, tak me doon etc), was planning on doing some hill repeats over the next few weeks to try & get in shape.

Did you find it really tough or are you a superfit race snake anyway?? (I climb like a snake....one of those giant anacondas after it has just consumed an entire cow or something!) :wink:
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    muzzan wrote:
    Navrig wrote:

Thanks for that, a couple of possibilities there. Not cheap right enough, but I suppose thats to be expected.

Would probably tackle Semnoz from Annecy, I see the climb from there is about 10mi @ 7% or so ave :shock:

Certainly a good bit tougher than anything I've done up here (crow rd, tak me doon etc), was planning on doing some hill repeats over the next few weeks to try & get in shape.

Did you find it really tough or are you a superfit race snake anyway?? (I climb like a snake....one of those giant anacondas after it has just consumed an entire cow or something!) :wink:

I am certainly no race snake. At 50 and weighing in at 86kg Semnoz was a challenge. I stopped 3 times on the way up just catch my breath and eat a gel or a shock blok.

This was our route coming from the south:

http://app.strava.com/activities/60046418

Tackle the climb from Quintal and you climnb up through trees giving you a more open descent with magnificent views to the east. The road from Quintal to the summit is being relayed or repaired but the descent isn't so be careful as there are some cracks and pot holes.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Cheers for the info Navrig! We're staying over to the East in La Giettaz and this is on the hit list of climbs.
  • timbo43
    timbo43 Posts: 7
    Hi Chaps

Did you manage to source a bike whilst you were in Annecy? I will be staying up the valley in La Clusaz for the end of September and would like to tackle Col du Galibier and Col de la Croix Fry whilst I'm there.

Some of the bike rental places are closed for this period in the resorts, but is there anywhere recommended in Annecy? Just need it for a couple of days so as not to annoy the mrs..!

Cheers all.