£400 budget for second hand bike

mart321
mart321 Posts: 10
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi all, ive been looking at getting a new bike after a few years in the wilderness, i owned a dawes watoga a few years ago but it was stolen and i never replaced it. anyway looking to get back into it so im looking for a decent second hand mountain bike. hopefully looking to get something that has been improved and has had some decent components added. a few of the bikes ive come across so far are these

on-one scanal

on one inbred

cannondale f800 lefty

whyte 901

lapierre x race 300

im not sure where to start really, theres a lot of info and bikes out there, but for a £400max budget can any one give me any recomendations or give some feedback on the above bikes.

Comments

• stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    The on-one scandal and inbred are difficult to quantify as most are sold frame only and built up in a variety of ways, so it is almost impossible to comment specifically on these. On-one frames themselves normally get comments among the lines of very good value for money but not the most inspiring of rides. Plenty of opinon on here if you search.

At this price, which should get you something pretty good second hand, you need to make sure it fits first and foremost, and checking how good/bad the forks and drivetrain are, as these will be most costly to replace. For that reason I would limit the scope to bikes that are local to you so you get to test and inspect before you pay your money. This should limit the choices considerably (depending on where you live!)
  • coomber
    coomber Posts: 232
    A lefty bike sub £400?! Echo the above otherwise.

Depends on your riding, if xc you can get a nice very light giant xtc or kona kula second hand for your budget
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very hard to predict what will come up local to you, generally you'll get fast feedback on here, so suggest you browse and if you spot something ask for opinions and then go check it out.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.