Hans Dampf or Maxxis Minion DHF?

*AJ*
*AJ* Posts: 1,080
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
For my trail/all rounder bike.... Mostly ride at trail centres, built the (Nukeproof) Mega up in March from my old Orange DH bike, the 2.5 Maxxis High Rollers were too heavy & slow, I swapped to 2.1 Panaracer Fire XC's and they're to skinny/skitish....

Im torn between a pair of 2.35 Maxxis Minion DHF's (DHF is supposed to be better than a DHR on the rear) or a pair of 2.35 Schwalbe Hans Damps?

Ive used the Minions before and was very impressed, but everyone seems to be raving about these Hans Dampfs?

Any advice?

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I like my minions. Never tried a HD.
  • Big betty FR over the minion.

Minions used to be my go to tyre, untill rimming big betty.
  • bennett_346
    I used a BB once and it didn't seem very good at all once the trail got a bit damp. This was on alpine DH trails though so i dunno how that relates to british mud.
  • Ahh, trails round here are rocky and drain really well, but I have only used them in dry conditions thus far.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I ride HD's on my YT which is a similar bike to yours, I mainly ride trail centres and DH and they've been fantastic in wet and dry. At £55 for a pair of pacestar/trailstar you can't go wrong
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have tried Hans Dampfs. They are too heavy and too wide (bigger than a 2.5" minion) and I didnt really get why everyone vlikes them so much.
    Big Bettys or Bontrager XR4 Team Issue 2.2" (big for 2.2").
  • *AJ*
    dusk wrote:
    I ride HD's on my YT which is a similar bike to yours, I mainly ride trail centres and DH and they've been fantastic in wet and dry. At £55 for a pair of pacestar/trailstar you can't go wrong

Is that from bikediscount.de?....they're out of stock! Crc have them in stock but they're £50 each! They have ORC compound ones at £25ish, but I'm not sure how good they are!
  • *AJ*
    I have tried Hans Dampfs. They are too heavy and too wide (bigger than a 2.5" minion) and I didnt really get why everyone vlikes them so much.
    Big Bettys or Bontrager XR4 Team Issue 2.2" (big for 2.2").

See that's what I'm worried about.. The 2.5 high roller was quite big, but I guess it was more how heavy they were that bothered me! The panaracers are bloody light! But just not beefy enough for when I go DH!
  • *AJ*
    Just noticed bikediscount had 1 pair in stock! So I've bought them! On the basis that if I don't get on with them I'll probably be able to sell them for what I paid!

Ill see how I get on!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The size makes little difference. In the pace star on the rear they still roll really well and the grip is fantastic. Some people don't get on with certain tyres, but I've heard very very few people not happy with the Hans Dampfs. My go to tyre now for pretty much everything.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    HD on the front, come up big though, got a 29er version on my bike and its great seem to work well for me across the board as an agressive trail tyre
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Actually gonna throw a different idea in for trail tyres

Just swapped mine over ( and like you used to run a 2.5 minion up front and recently Schaulbe muddy marry)

Specialized Butcher control 2.3" up front and the purgatory 2.3" control on the rear.

Honestly one of the best trail tyre combo's at the moment and at £30 a tyre not a bad price. Been very pleased so far butcher is better than a 2.35 minion and the purgatory rolls fast and allows a nice bit of controllable rear wheel drift.
  • bennett_346
    I really like the purgatory too, works well on the back for DH and well on the front and back for trail riding.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    not sure about it front if i'm honest witht he butcher control being out there now.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Big tyres are ok in the dry but with something as big as the Hans Dampf I find drag really bad in damp or wet conditions